Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk Script to format output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk Script to format output Post 302916822 by Bobsonm on Friday 12th of September 2014 05:40:32 AM
Old 09-12-2014
Thanks for the reply!

The code you posted is giving me a syntax error on the first result="NONE". I tried to fix it but I cant make it work so I went in a different direction.

Breaking it down to smaller parts so its easier for me to understand.

Code:
awk '$1=="Server:" {  
if ($1=="Server:") {print server}  
server=$2 
} 
END {
print server
} '

Is giving me all the servers names.

Code:
awk '
$1=="Server:" {  
if ($1=="Server:") {print server}  
server=$2 
} 
$2=="Running" { 
countrunning[$2]++
} 
$2=="Suspended" { 
countsusp[$2]++
}  
END {
print server; 
for (num1 in countrunning) print num1,  countrunning[num1] ; 
for (num2  in countsusp) print num2, countsusp[num2]
} '

Is giving me all servers and a count of processes with state running and suspended regardless on what server it runs. I cannot use S1="Process" to identify the processes because the actual names are random (not starting whit process).

Im trying to make the output of the script so that the state of processes are counted for each server.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output in a particular format using AWK

Hi All, I am trying to check if if column 5 is greater than 90. If greater it will print the term in column 6, else if all are within limit, then it will output "Size is within limit". I can't seem to do that with the below code. The output should only be 1 statement of "Size is within the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[need help] output format from awk

hi all, i have a problem with my nawk command output below is the description : nawk $12 == "00008001" { cnt++;cs_cd } END {for(cd in cs_cd) print cd, cs_cd } 2007020814.TDR output : 133 123 desire output: 133,123,.... please advices thank you so much (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format output using awk in script.

Guys, I have a script which hits the database and pulls the information that I need into files. Now I want to format these files to make them easy to read. The sample format of the file will be like.... <Start_of_File> Header1 .....xsdfsfa...adfa...... Header2 ....afefas .aefaefsdf...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bperl
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - format output

Input file1 zone: BAU_SERVER1 C0:50:76:01:C6:20:00:12; 50:06:01:69:3B:20:14:8B; 50:06:01:60:3B:20:14:8B zone: BAU_SERVER2 C0:50:76:01:C6:20:00:08; 50:06:01:69:3B:20:14:8B; 50:06:01:60:3B:20:14:8B zone: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to format an output

awk experts, I have in put file with time stamp followed by "," separated data. same patern continues. The output need time stamp in first columns and data total in 2nd columns. Input file T 9:15 d0,1,3,3 d1,2,1,1 d2,3,1,5 e1,1,1,1 T 9:30 d0,1,1,1 d1,2,3,2 d3,1,2,1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arv_cds
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

after awk-> format output

hi i have a awk command with several querys.... awk 'FS="|""; print $4, $5, $6...etc.... $4 gives me the date 20120304 $5 is timestamp 101023 I want to format these in 2012.03.04 or 2012/03/04 10:10:23 but have no idea, if this is possible with format-parameters in the awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazzmatazz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format output using awk

Hello all , need help with this ... Input File DEV % POOL 0CB4 FBA 2211300 81792 4 IE RAID-5(3+1) R5_EFD100_1 - - 1805376 82 IF RAID-1 M2_FC300_1 - ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adjusting my awk output format

I've been diving into awk but still learning how to use it for text formatting. Below you can see my results are separated by a comma. Can somebody show me how to separate by TAB as well? An explanation would be appreciated as I did not comprehend the answer in the man pages and would like to gain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate Excel file or to SQL output data to Excel format/tabular format

Hi , i am generating some data by firing sql query with connecting to the database by my solaris box. The below one should be the header line of my excel ,here its coming in separate row. TO_CHAR(C. CURR_EMP_NO ---------- --------------- LST_NM... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani1234
6 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c command] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t[=file]] [-V] [-h] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 util-linux