Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking What RJ11 Cables Should I Use? Post 302916735 by hicksd8 on Thursday 11th of September 2014 03:16:02 PM
Old 09-11-2014
The answer to this question depends on which country you are in and the standards used by that country.

In the UK (where I am) the line from the telephone company is two core and this (normally) connects directly to the master (first) telephone socket on the premises. If there are second and more handsets on the line then four cores go on from this master socket to the second and subsequent sockets. One of these extra cores carries the 'ring' signal.

So, if you are only dealing with master sockets then two core RJ11 will be fine, but if you were plugging a modem into an extension socket it should still work but may NOT see an in-bound ring signal (assuming the Zoom modems are working to that country standard too).

Buying 4-core RJ11 is the safe option as extraneous cores would simply not be used on a master socket connection.

Hope that helps.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Scsi cables - which ones?

Is there any specific scsi cables that you need to get when connecting a tape drive or external storage or does one type of cable fit all? ie. I can buy the following: HD68 to HD68 with Ferrites supports S-E Ultra/Wide transfer rates. But will this work for tape drives and storage? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

fc cables

hi friends, we are using fc cables and fc switches,u might be aware of the cost factor of it so just wanted to know that Why do we need FC switches and fiber-optic cables? Is it not possible to use, say, twisted-pair copper cables instead of fiber-optic cables, and achieve almost comparable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mxms755
3 Replies

3. Solaris

pinout DB9 to RJ11 of T3 Array Disk?

Hello friends, i have a problem with the pinout of T3 Array Disk cuz i don't know to build this serial cable :( please anybody help me! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikoxve
1 Replies

4. Solaris

1 or 2 Fiber cables?

Hi Community, I'm working on Solaris 10 installation with 1 Server V490 and 1 StoredgeTek 3510 (Standalone configuration). I'd connect the Server to the Storedge with a fiber cable but I' m in doubt becouse I don't know if using 1 or 2 fiber cable. Could you provide me any solution? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SUNFIRE V240 procedure to shutdown with safety in order to replace power cables

Question: Which commands to use to shutdown with safety the server; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doudou2012
2 Replies

6. Hardware

Flat cables vs normal circular cables

Do flat cables have any advantage over normal circular cables? I was looking at this. 6ft 2M Flat USB Sync Data Cable Charger Cord for iPhone4 4S 3G iPad1 2 3 Orange | eBay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. War Stories

Following Cables for Fun!

Hi Folks, I came accross this picture taken a number of years ago now, I just thought I'd share it with you guys. We were in the process of removing equipment from the Data Centre and had followed the cable through to this area, where one of the old patch areas had been. When we lifted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
CPUPOWER-SET(1) 						  cpupower Manual						   CPUPOWER-SET(1)

NAME
cpupower-set - Set processor power related kernel or hardware configurations SYNOPSIS
cpupower set [ -b VAL ] [ -s VAL ] [ -m VAL ] DESCRIPTION
cpupower set sets kernel configurations or directly accesses hardware registers affecting processor power saving policies. Some options are platform wide, some affect single cores. By default values are applied on all cores. How to modify single core configura- tions is described in the cpupower(1) manpage in the --cpu option section. Whether an option affects the whole system or can be applied to individual cores is described in the Options sections. Use cpupower info to read out current settings and whether they are supported on the system at all. Options --perf-bias, -b Sets a register on supported Intel processore which allows software to convey its policy for the relative importance of performance versus energy savings to the processor. The range of valid numbers is 0-15, where 0 is maximum performance and 15 is maximum energy efficiency. The processor uses this information in model-specific ways when it must select trade-offs between performance and energy efficiency. This policy hint does not supersede Processor Performance states (P-states) or CPU Idle power states (C-states), but allows software to have influence where it would otherwise be unable to express a preference. For example, this setting may tell the hardware how aggressively or conservatively to control frequency in the "turbo range" above the explicitly OS-controlled P-state frequency range. It may also tell the hardware how aggressively it should enter the OS requested C- states. This option can be applied to individual cores only via the --cpu option, cpupower(1). Setting the performance bias value on one CPU can modify the setting on related CPUs as well (for example all CPUs on one socket), because of hardware restrictions. Use cpupower -c all info -b to verify. This options needs the msr kernel driver (CONFIG_X86_MSR) loaded. --sched-mc, -m [ VAL ] --sched-smt, -s [ VAL ] --sched-mc utilizes cores in one processor package/socket first before processes are scheduled to other processor packages/sockets. --sched-smt utilizes thread siblings of one processor core first before processes are scheduled to other cores. The impact on power consumption and performance (positiv or negativ) heavily depends on processor support for deep sleep states, fre- quency scaling and frequency boost modes and their dependencies between other thread siblings and processor cores. Taken over from kernel documentation: Adjust the kernel's multi-core scheduler support. Possible values are: 0 - No power saving load balance (default value) 1 - Fill one thread/core/package first for long running threads 2 - Also bias task wakeups to semi-idle cpu package for power savings SEE ALSO
cpupower-info(1), cpupower-monitor(1), powertop(1) AUTHORS
--perf-bias parts written by Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com> Thomas Renninger <trenn@suse.de> 22/02/2011 CPUPOWER-SET(1)