Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with bash script to open arbitrary # of independent xterms Post 302915766 by smth333 on Thursday 4th of September 2014 02:44:22 PM
Old 09-04-2014
Help with bash script to open arbitrary # of independent xterms

I run multiple processes that require I pop open multiple xterms, how can I do this in a script and have each xterm colored differently and labled for the servername they represent, for example if I do ssh username@serverip I would need the xterm to be opened with that servername at the top and have it colored differently than the next xterm, the max # of terms I need for now is 6, but sometimes its 3 or 4, 5. Can anyone help with this.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

resize multiple xclients (xterms) on command line or programmatically?

Is there a way to resize x clients after they're started either on the command line or programmatically? I'm using Cygwin and typically start my root window, wm, and four xterms. By the end of the day they're all over the place with different sizes. I'd like to be able to enter a single command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open and work on a .doc file with bash script

Hello there....unix users :) I hope you can help me with this: I need open a doc file or xls files and work this files whit a bash script. For example: Open a doc file and copy information from a txt file in this doc file or xls file. Is it possible? Sorry for my english...I'm chilean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands to multiple xterms

Hi, I need some help with sending commands to multiple xterms. What I do is ssh -Y to a remote box, and then open up 4 shells (csh) and on each one I run a different program in sequence -- one of them has 2, the first of which goes into the background and after you hit "enter" or "return" you get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmoriarty
0 Replies

4. Programming

Creating a bash script that create/open database

Hi. I have two text files(tables) which include some information and I want to make some query codes using them. First of all, I want to create bash script that read this two tables, create/open database and insert data from files into database. #!/bin/bash while read line; do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rlaxodus
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arbitrary permutation and combination script

#!/bin/bash # permutation_combination.sh # Version: 2.0 # Author : YongYe <complex.invoke@gmail.com> arg0=-1 argv=${3} number=${2} eval ary=({1..${1}}) length=${#ary} percom(){ nsloop i ${1} number${2} ${3} ${4} ${5}; } invoke(){ echo $(percom ${argu} nsloop -1) prtcom $(percom... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: complex.invoke
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script reg-exp , replace , open and write

Hi All I am a new in scripting language and I would like help for you guys I would like to create a file named constant.h and search into all files *.m in specific directory for a reg-exp @"LBL_]+" exp: @"LBL_75847" , and write those matchs to constant.h if there are not written (no... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: molwiko
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass Multiple Commands and Open Multiple Xterms via PSS

Hello, I'm attempting to open multiple xterms and run a command as an SAP user via sudo using PSSH. So far, I'm able to run PSSH to a file of servers with no check for keys, open every xterm in to the servers in the file list, and SUDO to the SAP(ADM) user, but it won't do anything else... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: icemanj
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL script to capture range of lines and create two independent variables

Hi I am having a code as stated below module abcd( a , b , c ,da , fa, na , ta , ma , ra , ta, la , pa ); input a , b, da ,fa , na , ta , ma; output c , ra ,ta , la ,pa ; wire a , b , da , fa ,na , ta , ma; // MBIST Structures... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

TCL script to extract the file name and then create two independent list

I am having one problem as stated below Problem Description I am having some "sv" extension files , I am using "glob" to extract the matching files , Now in these matching files , I need to split them and extract the elements and create different lists. For example set files This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies
shownonascii(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   shownonascii(1)

NAME
shownonascii - View all or part of a mail message in a non-ASCII font SYNOPSIS
shownonascii charset-font-name [-e command-to-execute] file-name(s) DESCRIPTION
The shownonascii program allows data in non-ASCII character sets to be viewed under X11. By default, it will open up an xterm using the font named in the first argument, running the "more" command to view all of the files named on the command line. If the -e switch is used, the rest of the command line will be taken as the command to tell xterm to run instead of more. If the MM_CHARSET environment variable is set and matches the character set named in the first argument, a new xterm window will not be opened. If the MM_AUXCHARSETS environment variable is set the character set named in the first argument is a subset of that string, a new xterm window will not be opened. SEE ALSO
mailto-hebrew(1), mailto(1), metamail(1) BUGS
Nope. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1991 Bell Communications Research, Inc. (Bellcore) Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this material for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies, and that the name of Bellcore not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to this material without the specific, prior written permission of an authorized representative of Bellcore. BELLCORE MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR SUITABILITY OF THIS MATERIAL FOR ANY PURPOSE. IT IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES. AUTHOR
Nathaniel S. Borenstein, Bellcore Release 1 shownonascii(1)