Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random password generation
Operating Systems AIX Random password generation Post 302915666 by gfroute on Thursday 4th of September 2014 07:46:10 AM
Old 09-04-2014
Random password generation

Hello,

I have created a script to generate a random password on Linux/Solaris, but I simply cannot use it on my AIX VMs since Bash isn't installed on them.

I need a password that is randomly created with the following characters:
Code:
0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ!@;:[].{}+=<>#|()^&_0123456789

And that's where the problem is.. those special characters are excluded from commands such as makekey.

Here's what I've done for Linux:
Code:
MATRICE="0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ!@;:[].{}+=<>#|()^&_0123456789"
n=1
PASSWD=""
while [ "$n" -le 7]
do
  PASSWD="$PASSWD${MATRICE:$(($RANDOM%${#MATRICE})):1}"
  let n+=1
done

Any ideas how I can generate a random password that doesn't require bash installed, and that takes into account all the special characters?

Thanks!

Last edited by rbatte1; 09-08-2014 at 11:39 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Random number generation

Hi...How can I generate random numbers between a given range ...preferably between 1 and 100...in UNIX C programming...? I tried out functions like rand(),drand48() etc but didnt get satisfactory results... Thanks a lot in advance.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random number generation in ksh

I need to generate a random number in ksh everytime I run the script ,the range should be from 100 to 24800,I could use $RANDOM but I seem to have no control over the range of numbers ,could you please suggest some way I could implement this .Thanks. Mervin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a random password

Hello All... Can someone help me generate a random password which will be 7 characters long which contains alpha-numeric characters using shell script. I am looking to store the output of the script that generates the password to a variable within a script and use it as the password. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

4. Programming

Generate Random Password in C

I need a function to generate a random alphanumeric password in C code. It needs to be between 6-8 characters and follow the following rules: Reject if same char appears # time: 4 or more Reject if same char appears consecutively: 3 or more I have the following random password working for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjaws
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

SSH: Avoiding password prompt with rsa key generation

Hi, I am using a remote storage service for backing up our data - we want to have a script run as part of a cron job which would do the backups from our local Linux machine to the service's Linux machine. I want to use tar and ssh to do this (rather than mounting the disk and using cp) .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random NUmbers Generation with out repetation

Hi I have the below code MAXCOUNT=10 count=1 echo echo "$MAXCOUNT random numbers:" echo "-----------------" while # Generate 10 ($MAXCOUNT) random integers. do number=$ + 1 ] "echo $number" let "count += 1" # Increment count. done But aftre executing this ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

random number generation in ksh

i tried to use $random function in unix i simply typed print $random at shell and it returnted no value is there any function in korn shell that i can use to generate random number help is appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random word generation with AWK

Hi - I have a word GTTCAGAGTTCTACAGTCCGACGAT I need to extract all the possible "chunks" of 7 or above letter "words" from this. SO, my out put should be GTTCAGA TTCAGAG TCAGAGT CAGAGTTCT TCCGACGAT CAGTCCGACG etc. How can I do that with awk or any other language? I have no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Random insertion of letters to password

Hi,, Here i have attached a text file where iam facing problem in my code. Please read the file and help me out of this issue.. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
4 Replies
PASSWD.NNTP(5)							File Formats Manual						    PASSWD.NNTP(5)

NAME
passwd.nntp - passwords for connecting to remote NNTP servers DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/news/passwd.nntp contains host-name-password triplets for use when authenticating client programs to NNTP servers. This file is normally interpreted by the NNTPsendpassword routine in libinn(3). Blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines should consist of three or four fields separated by colons: host:name:password host:name:password:style The first field is the name of a host, and is matched in a case-insensitive manner. The second field is a user name, and the third is a password. The optional fourth field specifies the type of authentication to use. The default is ``authinfo'' which means that NNTP ``authinfo'' commands are used to authenticate to the remote host. If either the username or password are empty, then the related command will not be sent. (The ``authinfo'' command is a common extension to RFC 977.) For example: ## UUNET needs a password, MIT doesn't. mit.edu:bbn::authinfo uunet.uu.net:bbn:yoyoma:authinfo This file should not be world-readable. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.14, dated 1996/09/06. SEE ALSO
innd(8), libinn(3). PASSWD.NNTP(5)