Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append awk results into file or array Post 302915570 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 3rd of September 2014 09:21:29 PM
Old 09-03-2014
Please use [code] and [/code] tags around any posted code.

Is this what you are after:

Code:
for a in {1..100}
do
    awk '{ sum+=$a} END {print sum}' a=$a file1
done > file2

or

Code:
awk '{for(i=1;i<=100;i++) sum[i]+=$i} END {$0=x; for(i=1;i<=100;i++) $i=sum[i]; print }' file1 > file2

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append into array thru awk

hey champs, i have variable as field_dtls, which has values like CLIENT ID|FAMILY NAME|MIDDLE NAME|FIRST NAME|COUNTRY NAME|ADDRESS|NATIONAL ID|PASSPORT NUMBER so, echo "$field_dtls" CLIENT ID|FAMILY NAME|MIDDLE NAME|FIRST NAME|COUNTRY NAME|ADDRESS|NATIONAL ID|PASSPORT NUMBER but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Results of command execution into array

Hi Can anybody tell me how can I dump the results of execution of a command into array form? For example, I want to execute: and put each part of the result in an array element: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Array results

Hi, In a kshell , i need to compare the results of two array . each Non-match value should copy to a new array. For example: ========== Array one contain the following values: A B C Array two contain the following values: C F A E After comparing this arrays , a new array should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding results of a find to an array

I'm trying to add the paths of all the xml files in certain directories to an array. I want to use the array later in my code. Anyway, for some reason this isn't working. Any help would be appreciated. Path_Counter=0 for result in "find * -name '*.xml'"; do XmlPath="$result" echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fly_Moe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a file from ls -l command and append additional info to results

I need to be able to take the results from ls -l command and modify the output as follows: I will run ls -l *.mak My results will be aa.mak bb.mak cc.mak I then need to take those results and create a file that has the following info: dsjj/ubin/aa dsjj/ubin/bb dsjj/ubin/cc ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to append data to a file

Hi I search for certain values in a file across many directories using the following awk code awk '/Sl.*thickness/ {Sl=$3;Tt=$NF}END{print Sl, Tt}' DILAT.DAT What I would like to do is write out Sl and Tt obtained from these files from many directories to a single file. So for example if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Append new elements to an array

Hi all, I'm dealing with a bash script to merge the elements of a set of files and counting how many times each element is present. The last field is the file name. Sample files: head -5 *.tab==> 3J373_P15Ac1y2_01_LS.tab <== chr1 1956362 1956362 G A hom ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file sum results

I ran this script: #!/bin/bash ./disk-usage-JM.pl > jm_out InFile="jm_out" OutFile="jm_temp" awk '{if (!match(" \t",substr($0,1,1))) {server=$0; next} if (substr($0,1,1)==" ") {workspace=$0; next} print server,workspace,$0}' \ $InFile >$OutFile rm jm_out against this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: master-of-puppe
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash to append array value to file before copying

The bash stores each uniqueid in an array and then passes them to %q to get the unique path. That seems to work what I am having trouble with is renaming each .png with the unique value in %q. I thought it was working but upon closer inspection, a .png file is being sent to scp.... but only 1 and... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
21 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)