Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers RHEL6 Terminal Charset Encoding Post 302914554 by Corona688 on Tuesday 26th of August 2014 02:56:28 PM
Old 08-26-2014
What terminal are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix charset

Hi, How can I find out the charset on a Unix server (SUNOS 5.2)? I tried locale charmap and returned 646. What does 646 mean? If I send an xml file with encoding="utf-8", should the server be able to handle the file, even with special characters in it? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iengca
0 Replies

2. SuSE

sqlldr : charset conversion while loading ?

Hi, I am a newbie to Linux(Suse).I am facing a problem with 'sqlldr' utility while trying to upload data to Database tables.My backend is Oracle and is using the UTF8 encoding format.I am trying to load a datafile which contains some Western European Characters.While loading am getting an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem identifying charset of a file

Hi all, My objective is to find out the charset using which a file is encoded. (The OS is SunOs) I have set NLS_LANG to AR8MSWIN1256 and spooled the file. When viewed the file using vi, I saw the following \307\341\321\355\307\326 I then inserted the line containing these codes in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhar_423
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Likely charset issue with tree command?

Hi All I'm using a tree command in a script that for me outputs:- | - - DIRECTORYNAME However a different user is getting the following output:- aaa (actually with an umlat above them) DIRECTORYNAME I'm not sure where this could be coming from, any ideas anyone? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locale and glibc and charset

what's the relationship among locale, glibc, charset, charmap and fonts? why locale needs to be generated by glibc? how? what are in the locale-archive file? and what are in font files? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ISO 88591 file encoding charset in Linux

Hello Experts, please help to provide any insight as I am facing issue migrating java application from hpux to redhat. The java program is using InputStreamReader to read a file without specifying any charset parameter. However, in new Linux Redhat 5.6 environent, when reading a file that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonic_air
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to load a charset on RHEL 6.6 ?

Hi all, am running the following code on a RHEL 6.6 box to list which charsets are loaded and which are available: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Encode; my @list = Encode->encodings(); my @all_encodings = Encode->encodings(":all"); print "@list\n\n"; print "@all_encodings\n"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fundix
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

10. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)