Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed command does not work as expected Post 302914388 by newbie2010 on Monday 25th of August 2014 11:28:19 AM
Old 08-25-2014
sed command does not work as expected

Why when I use this command do I get "E123"?

Code:
echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\([A-Z]\{1,\}[0-9]\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p'

But when I used this command, I get NCE123?

Code:
echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\([A-Z]\{3\}[0-9]\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p'

I thought \{1,\} would mean any number of characters and [0-9]\{1,5\ would mean 1-5 digits?

So does the first expression mean print the second pattern, which is 1 or more upper case letters followed by 1-5 digits? Or am I not understanding correctly?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command not work with variables?

I am trying to write a simple script which will take a variable with sed to take a line out of a text and display it #!/bin/sh exec 3<list while read list<&3 do echo $list sed -n '$list p'<list2 done this does not work, yet when I replace the $list variable from the sed command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work as expected when run on cron

The script checks for free space stats on Oracle. If there are any tablespaces with more than 85% usage it prints the details of the tablespace. If all the tablespaces have more than 15% free space, then "All tablespaces have more than 15 pct free space" must be printed on the screen. When I run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For some reason, my grep doesn't work as expected

I am trying to find only those entries where 7018 and another number appear in the end of the line. 7018 2828 1423 2351 7018 2828 14887 2828 7018 1222 123 7018 1487 I am looking for a way to generate only the last two lines. I was trying to do just "grep '7018{1,5}" but it does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate work out for sed command

Iam trying to insert a line after #Cluster in the property file shown below #Node=Nodehostname:NodeProfilename Node=testNode:test_profile #Cluster=Cluster_Name:nodeName@ClusterMem1,nodeName@ClusterMem2,.... #DC=DCname:DCnodegrp:DCtemp DC=test_DC:test_NG:test_template i was using sed command... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSSB
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML in awk : OFS does not work as expected

Hi, I am trying to parse regular XML file where I have to reduce number of decimal points in some xml elements. I am using following AWK command to achive that : #!/bin/ksh EDITCMD='BEGIN { FS = ""; OFS=FS } { if ( $3 ~ "*\\.*" && length(substr($3,1+index($3,"."))) == 15 ) {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin.franek
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfileThis code works well in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfile This code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining Two Files Does not Work as Expected

Hi, I would like some help with the above awk command. I am trying to use the join command to join two files, no luck. I need to put the second column from file2.txt into each matching field of file1.txt. It works OK up to the value of 1000 of the matching column (1at column in both... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: yirgacheffe
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why my SETUID does not work as expected?

Hi All, Thanks for your help in advanced. Could you please kindly help on why my SETUID does not work? create a file, only root can read write it /tmp>ls -l a.log -rw------- 1 root root 3 Nov 12 18:57 a.log create a script under root with SETUID /tmp>ls -l a.sh -rwsr-sr-x 1 root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script does not work as expected

Repeat this text in a file named notes.txt and run the script Before bash is a good language a blank line appears Also, the following notes are displayed incorrectly What is bad? ================================== Title : Note 1 ================================== Category: Computer Date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesar60
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)