Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing last line with awk and change the file name Post 302914240 by RudiC on Saturday 23rd of August 2014 02:40:23 PM
Old 08-23-2014
Apart from what Don Cragun says, two comments on your script:
- as you want to rename the files anyhow, no temp file is needed (whatever $1temp may be, and the new file name will not be what you specified in post#1).
- the last line is not modified as the date string is in field 2 there, not in field 3.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a line in a file - HELP!!!

I have a problem in the following code ... while read line do #Get Line Number OLDLINE=`sed -n $Lineno $filename` echo "Un Changed Line : "$OLDLINE echo "Enter a New Pattern : " read NewPattern <&1 echo "NewPattern :"$NewPattern NEWLINE=`cat $filename | sed -n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk one line, change \n to sth in a file

Hi Everyone, cat 1.txt aaa bbb ccc outout will be cat 2.txt ,,aaa,,bbb,ccc,, means change "\n" to ",,", and add ",," into the beginging and ending. right now i am using perl while to open and read the file, then split \t, feel not nice. please advice. and i hear using perl... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing line 'i' of file1 with line 'j' of file 2

Hi All, As mentioned in the title I have two text files and I would like to replace line number 5 of file #1 with line number 4 of file #2 e.g. file 1 wqwert 4.4464002 3 319 286 369 46.320002 56.150002 45.100002 1 1 1 0.723 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a line in a file using sed

I have a file which has a list in it pop triangle people slow fast What I want to do is search this list and replace people with humans do the list looks like this: pop triangle human slow fast I think i use something like this.... if cat /list.txt | grep -q 'people' ; then (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a line in a file

Hi all, I need to replace a line export TZ=xxxxxxxx with the line export TZ=$1 Now, "xxxxxxxx" in the above line is some unknown string and $1 is a parameter. I want the content of $1 to be replaced with "xxxxxxxx". Kindly help me how to do this in the shell scripting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddeeps2610
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for replacing line feed

Hello all, I have data like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "2"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "3"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|" "|My_other" "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" Need output like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing multiple line patterns with awk

Hi forum, Can you please help me understand how to look for and replace the below pattern (containing line breaks) and return a new result? Rules: Must match the 3 line pattern and return a 1 line result. I have found solutions with sed, but it seems that sed installed in my system is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk command not replacing in first line

As per requirement if column 2 is NULL then 'N' ELSE 'Y'. I have written below awk code. But it is not replacing values for first line. :confused: cat temp.txt 1|abc|3 1||4 1|11|c awk -F'|' '{if($2==""){$2="N"}else{$2="Y"} print $0 } {OFS="|"} ' < temp.txt 1 Y 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies
fwtmp(1M)																 fwtmp(1M)

NAME
fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records SYNOPSIS
[files] DESCRIPTION
fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output, converting binary records of the type found in to formatted ASCII records. The ASCII version is useful to enable editing, via ed(1), bad records or for general purpose maintenance of the file. The argument is used to denote that input is in ASCII form, and output is to be written in binary form. The arguments and are independent, respectively specifying ASCII input and binary output. Therefor, is an ASCII to ASCII copy and is a binary to binary copy. should be used for reading If is not used, structure is read. wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in format, corrects the time/date stamps to make the entries consistent, and writes to the stan- dard output. A can be used in place of files to indicate the standard input. If time/date corrections are not performed, will fault when it encounters certain date-change records. Each time the date is set, a pair of date change records is written to The first record is the old date denoted by the string old time placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field of the structure. The second record specifies the new date, and is denoted by the string placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field. uses these records to synchronize all time stamps in the file. nullifies date change records when writing to the standard output by setting the time field of the structure in the old date change record equal to the time field in the new date change record. This prevents and from factoring in a date change record pair more than once. In addition to correcting time/date stamps, wtmpfix checks the validity of the name field to ensure that it consists solely of alphanumeric characters or spaces. If it encounters a name that is considered invalid, it changes the login name to and writes a diagnostic to the standard error. This minimizes the risk that will fail when processing connect accounting records. DIAGNOSTICS
wtmpfix generates the following diagnostics messages: WARNINGS
generates no errors, even on garbage input. FILES
SEE ALSO
ed(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4), wtmps(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fwtmp(1M)