Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Check that supersede of package version is installed Post 302913651 by jlliagre on Tuesday 19th of August 2014 05:10:53 AM
Old 08-19-2014
Can you provide a factual example of a required package and its expected minimal version?

After patching, the version might be unchanged. That's the whole point of patching vs updating, but patching only apply to Solaris OS packages, not for third party/external ones.

Moreover, the whole package system has radically changed between Solaris 10 and Solaris 11.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to check if a package is already installed?

Hi All, I want to check if the perl DBI package is already installed my AIX unix machine. is there any command to check this? Please help. Thanks, Am (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: am_yadav
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to package my program which can be installed on HP UX

I develop a unix program in HPUX I want to package my program to install on HPUX in some dierctory folder like /user/local/sbin/xxx and preinstall some software before install my program package like xxx.depot how can i do it, have any tools like use setupfactory tools in windows ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
4 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Download same package as installed

Hi gurus, how to (just) download already installed package ? I tried sudo apt-get -d install putty but gives me Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done putty is already the newest version. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
7 Replies

4. AIX

How to check supersede of patch

Hi dear All. I need to create script, that will check if some specific AIX patch is superseded by another patch, already installed on system Let us say I have AIX 5.3 machine, and I have to check for patch "X". Of cause - it is not a problem to check if patch "X" is already installed on given... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zuismanm
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Package needs to be installed for using pam_mkhomedir.so?

Hi, What is the necessary package that needs to be installed for using pam_mkhomedir.so in pam.conf file? And from where can i get that file? Is that package already shipped with Solaris 10? Because when i use that file i am getting "open_module: stat(/usr/lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathya47
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

How to list my program or package that i compile and installed?

Hi I would like to ask in ubuntu or linux on how to list all my package or software the i installed via source code( compile installed in dir default is /usr/local) just like i solaris in which if you installed a package in ur choosing default root installation dir you can just issue a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem when trying to remove a package using rpm command - error: package is not installed

Hello, i have installed a package by using the command sudo rpm -i filepackage.rpm package filepackage is already installed when i try to remove it, i get an error saying "is not installed": sudo rpm -e filepackage.rpm error: package filepackage is not installed How can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Finding the path to an executable , installed package

Hi all, Recently i wanted to see if i have openssl installed in my system (solaris 10), so i do this (not sure if this is the right way to do this) pkginfo -i | grep -i "ssl" system SUNWopenssl-commands OpenSSL Commands (Usr) system SUNWopenssl-include ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-to verify if my package installed successfully

Can you please let me know how can i verify /check inside the script if the below to package installation commands are successful or if they failed for any reasons? 1. pkgadd -a $INSTP/install/dadmin -d $INSTP/install/apachesrv.pkg 2. pkgadd -a $INSTP/install/dadmin -d... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash find version of an installed application but if none is found set variable to App Not Installed

Hello Forum, I'm issuing a one line bash command to look for the version of an installed application and saving the result to a variable like so: APP=application --version But if the application is not installed I want to return to my variable that the Application is not installed. So I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
2 Replies
depend(4)							   File Formats 							 depend(4)

NAME
depend - software dependencies file DESCRIPTION
depend is an ASCII file used to specify information concerning software dependencies for a particular package. The file is created by a software developer. Each entry in the depend file describes a single software package. The instance of the package is described after the entry line by giving the package architecture and/or version. The format of each entry and subsequent instance definition is: type pkg name (arch)version (arch)version ... The fields are: type Defines the dependency type. Must be one of the following characters: P Indicates a prerequisite for installation; for example, the referenced package or versions must be installed. I Implies that the existence of the indicated package or version is incompatible. R Indicates a reverse dependency. Instead of defining the package's own dependencies, this designates that another package depends on this one. This type should be used only when an old package does not have a depend file, but relies on the newer package nonetheless. Therefore, the present package should not be removed if the designated old package is still on the system since, if it is removed, the old package will no longer work. pkg Indicates the package abbreviation. name Specifies the full package name. (arch)version Specifies a particular instance of the software. A version name cannot begin with a left parenthesis. The instance specifi- cations, both (arch) and version, are completely optional, but each (arch)version pair must begin on a new line that begins with white space. A null version set equates to any version of the indicated package. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample of depend file Here are the contents of a sample depend file, for the SUNWftpr (FTP Server) package, stored in /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWftpr/install: P SUNWcar Core Architecture, (Root) P SUNWkvm Core Architecture, (Kvm) P SUNWcsr Core Solaris, (Root) P SUNWcsu Core Solaris, (Usr) P SUNWcsd Core Solaris Devices P SUNWcsl Core Solaris Libraries R SUNWftpu FTP Server, (Usr) SEE ALSO
pkginfo(4) Application Packaging Developer's Guide SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 1996 depend(4)