Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Suggest books
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Suggest books Post 302913445 by Don Cragun on Sunday 17th of August 2014 02:02:35 AM
Old 08-17-2014
It sounds to me like this user is trying to learn how to write C programs. Assuming nerdbee has access to a system with a C compiler, the differences between Linux and UNIX should not be an issue at this stage. A good book on C is what is needed (not a book on the Linux or UNIX operating system). Of course the man pages on the system in use will be important if the user is trying to write code optimized for a particular system. But, in my opinion, nerdbee should start by learning to write portable C code that can be compiled and run on any system long before worrying about the differences between the UNIX and Linux operating systems.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Look into this and suggest if any changes needed

Hi, I am new script programming, I have written a script shown velow to read username and passwd from /etc/security/passwd, i am able to read username, but unable to grep lastupdate. please look into the code and suggest if any changes need. #!/bin/ksh USERNAME="" fname=/usr/bin/lastupdate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: me_haroon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you suggest a more efficient way for this?

Hi I have the following at the end of a service shutdown script used in part of an active-passive failover setup: ### # Shutdown all primary Network Interfaces # associated with failover ### # get interface names based on IP's # and shut them down to simulate loss of # heartbeatd ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikie
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

suggest book

Hi I am new to Unix/Linux I know commands and shell scripts which are useful for my project. But i need to know the basics and commands and shell scripts in detail and easy guide. Please refer a book. Thanks Haripatn (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: haripatn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please suggest some changes in my code

Hi All, I have made the following code which is taking 10-15 mins to execute completely. Here the file am using is very big( around 1050993843). Can any one make some changes in my code which reduces the time it takes to execute as am very much new to Unix(learner). One more thing, i have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhavsunduru
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can yum be used. If not please suggest.

Hi! I need to install a application from one server to several other servers. My script would copy the install-script to other machines and run it.Since it has to be non-interactive , just wondering if yum can be used for the same. Please let me know , if you guys are aware of other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nua7
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

please suggest me a site

hi i need to get the values from an xml file like the <TAG> values and write to a file please suggest me the commands and some good reading material sites so that i can implement (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perlamohan
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

suggest me books/courses

I am new to unix world. I just know some basic commands only and some basics knowledge about unix. Anyone please suggest me from where should I start. Suggest me some book that could help me from the beginning. Presently I am working in php in a company and I want to move in unix. Please suggest me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UNITRIX
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any body suggest me.........!!!!

i am jaswanth, i am very new to unix/linux, upto now i worked in windows only., but i took coatching for unix.., and my sir teached all my classes in red hat linux and told me that all are same...!!! I know shall programming in red hat linux.., but now i installed opensloaris but the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: strgraphics
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Suggest books for understanding Ubuntu Linux

recommend books to understand ubuntu ...... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyom
14 Replies
learn(1)						      General Commands Manual							  learn(1)

NAME
learn - Provides computer-aided instruction for the C shell SYNOPSIS
learn [-directory] [subject] [lesson] The learn command provides computer-aided instruction courses and practice in the use of Tru64 UNIX. OPTIONS
Allows you to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. DESCRIPTION
To get started, enter learn; if this is the first time that you are invoking the learn command, you are guided through a series of ques- tions to determine what type of instruction you want to receive. If you have used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program uses information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. To bypass questions, enter a subject or lesson. In order to enter a lesson, you must know the lesson number that you received in a previ- ous learn command session. If you do not know the lesson number, enter the lesson number as a subject. The learn command searches for the first lesson containing the subject you specified. If the lesson is a - (dash), learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debug- ging. You can specify the following subjects: files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C SUBCOMMANDS
There are a few special commands. The bye command terminates a learn session, and the where command tells you of your progress (where m tells you more.) The again command redisplays the text of the lesson and again lesson lets you review lesson. The hint command prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while hint m prints the entire lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what is expected. EXAMPLES
To take the online lesson about files, enter: learn files You are then prompted for further input. FILES
Playpen directories. Start-up information. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ex(1) learn(1)