Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove trailing space from file and folder names Post 302913021 by vipertech on Wednesday 13th of August 2014 10:53:19 AM
Old 08-13-2014
Remove trailing space from file and folder names

I have a folder that contains many sub folders and files. This tree has to be backed up to an archive system. According to the tech support, one of the archives is failing to back up due to the possibility of trailing spaces on file and folder names. Therefore, I would like to have a script parse through this directory tree and remove trailing spaces from file and folder names. I would like to avoid replacing spaces with underscores and I would like to avoid removing spaces from the middle of the names.

For example, I have many folders that might be named something like this:

Code:
12345 Company Name

So assuming the above folder had a trailing space, I would want to remove JUST the trailing space.

Can I get some assistance with a script that could do that?

Thanks!
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Without CODE tags, we can't tell the difference between one space and multiple spaces or tabs, and we can't see trailing whitespace characters. This post is confusing because there are no trailing spaces on your sample filename.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 08-13-2014 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting all file names in a folder.

Hi All, I need help to create a shell script that does following: - do ls -1 and let all file names in the current folder - do wc for each file and if wc > 0 then send a mail. I am new to unix and do not know how to get filename one by one in a loop, so that wc can be done. I have done rest... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adadevil
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

re: removing trailing space from lines

Not sure why this thread was closed without any explanation, but you can do what you're asking with sed 's/]*$//g' < sourceFile > destFile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oombera
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing spaces from file

I'm currently writing my sql results to a file and they have trailing spaces after each field. I want to get rid of these spaces and I'm using this code: TVXTEMP=$(echo $TVXTEMP|sed -e 's/\ //g') It doesn't work though. I'm not familiar with sedscript, and the other codes I've found online... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avillanueva
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming File Names in a folder/Dir

Hi Team, I'm new to Unix shell scripting . I've the following requirement A folder contains the list of files with the following format ab.name.11.first ab.name.12.second ab.name.13.third ---------- I have to rename the above file to like below ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing space

Hi I am trying to remove trailing space from a string. value=${value%% } It is not working. What might be the issue with the above snippet. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing space in Gawk

Hi, I have simply made a shell script to convert *.csv to *.xml file. Xml file is required for input to one tool. But i am getting space after last field. How can i remove it. Shell script is as follows :- if then echo "" echo "Wrong syntax, Databse_update.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stillrules
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove or truncate trailing nulls from file

I want to remove from a file the trailing null characters (0x00) and stop doing so when a different byte is found (which should not be deleted), and either put the result to the same file or a different one. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the leading and trailing date from a CSV file

I'm a newbie to shell scripting. Can anyone help with the below requirement ? The leading and trailing date of a files to be removed. 2017-07-12_gmr_tag_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_call_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_outgoing_log_20170711.csv I'm looking for output like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamayam
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies
file-roller(1)							   User Commands						    file-roller(1)

NAME
file-roller - create, view, modify, or unpack an archive SYNOPSIS
file-roller [--add] [--add-to=archive] [--default-dir=folder] [--extract] [--extract-here] [--extract-to=folder] [--force] [gnome-std- options] DESCRIPTION
The File Roller application enables you to create, view, modify, or unpack an archive. An archive is a file that acts as a container for other files. An archive can contain many files, folders, and subfolders, usually in compressed form. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d, --add Ask for the name of the archive, then add the files, then quit the application. -a, --add-to=archive Add files to the specified archive, then quit the application. --default-dir=folder Specify the default folder for the --add and --extract options. -f, --extract Ask for the name of the destination folder, then extract the files, then quit the application. -h, --extract-here Extract archives using the archive name as destination folder and quit the program. -e, --extract-to=folder Extract archives to the specified folder, then quit the application. --force Create the destination folder without asking for confirmation. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more infor- mation. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking an Archive example% file-roller --extract archive EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/file-roller Executable for File Roller application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNW | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
File Roller Manual ar(1), tar(1), unzip(1), zip(1), attributes(5), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Laszlo Kovacs, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004, 2007. SunOS 5.11 08 Nov 2007 file-roller(1)