Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editing big file in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Editing big file in UNIX Post 302913013 by Abdulhameed M on Wednesday 13th of August 2014 10:11:35 AM
Old 08-13-2014
Thanks for your quick reply.. I will test and get back..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

editing unix files on NT

i currently am using a unix server and NT pc. i have downloaded a ziped file that should explode into 3 seperate unix based files, however when i unzip it using Alading Expander it displays only 1. This exploded version contains all 3 files ( you can scroll down when viewing the file and see the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pixelmonkey
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

3. SCO

File Editing and Printing in Unix

Hi, Can some one provide me with, some good links containing help for file editing and printing in unix. Regards, Muhammad Tayyab Shereen Motor Co. Kuwait (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem editing big file in vi

I have a big file, which vi opens it with message not sufficient space with file system. I am not adding any data in the file but changing some values within. To make these changes effective, it asks for forced write (w!), even after doing this, I see this particular record, change is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing Binary Files in Unix

Hi, Is there a way to edit BINARY files in Unix. Or even are there any commands (shellscript/perl) through which I can replace all the occurences of a string inside a BINARY file with another string ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

best method to compare 2 big files in unix

Hi , I have a requirement to compare 2 files which can contain 40 million or more records and more than 20 fields to compare . Currently I am using awk scripting , and since awk has a memory issue, I am not able to process file more than 10 million records. Any suggestions or pointers to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

Editing a UNIX file in Hexadecimal format

Hi, I am a newbie to the UNIX world. I am asked to edit the file in hexadecimal format and save it. Later I should be able to print the file in char mode. please anyone tell me how to do that mostly using VI editor. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkudire
1 Replies
lptest(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						lptest(1B)

NAME
lptest - generate line printer ripple pattern SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/lptest [ length [count]] DESCRIPTION
The lptest utility writes the traditional ripple test pattern to the standard output. In 96 lines, the ripple test pattern prints all 96 printable ASCII characters in each position. The ripple test pattern was originally created to test printers. It is also useful for test- ing terminals, driving terminal ports, debugging, and performing tasks that require a quick supply of random data. This command is obsolete. OPTIONS
length Specifies the length of the output line in characters. 79 characters is the default. count Specifies the number of output lines. 200 lines is the default. If count is specified, length must also be specified. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscplp | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 1996 lptest(1B)