Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find command Post 302910894 by Maddy123 on Monday 28th of July 2014 08:18:07 PM
Old 07-28-2014
Hi Don ,

Thanks for helping me understand the use of find command. I know its a basic command in Unix but
since i am new to unix i wanted to clarify it with experts like you in forum and then implement it.

So wanted to clarify my doubts here prior to implement in production box.

<Without a space between trc and -mtime , it will give you a syntax error. >
actually it was my typo.while copy & paste it just happened.

my requirement was to find all files ending with file name '.trc' older than 90 days and delete them ultimately.
So the command should be like
Code:
find . -name '*trc' -mtime +90 -exec rm {} +

<You have a huge set of tools available to you. Play with them. Learn how they work by playing with them>
Can you name some tools and how to use them?

Regards,
Maddy

Last edited by Maddy123; 07-28-2014 at 09:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: No match due to find command being argument

I am using csh and getting the error "find: No match." but I cannot figure out why. What I am trying to do is set the find command to a variable and then execute the variable as a command. I ran it through a debugger and it looks like $FIND is getting set but the find command can not actually be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mst3k4l
2 Replies

5. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find command to find exact dir from the root

I want to find a dir called STOP from the root.so what is the find command. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find, regular expression, anyway to simplify this find command?

Hello everyone, first post here, trying to learn scripting on my own and this forum as been really helpful so far. I made few little scripts working great but I m facing some problems with RE. I have a bunch of files in many subdirectories called *001.ext *002.ext OR simple *.ext or *01.ext... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Is it possible to find the seek rate of the find command in Solaris?

Hello, I am running some performance based tests on Solaris, and I was wondering how fast the "seeking" rate of Solaris is, or how fast Solaris can get information about files with the "find" command. Does anyone know what 'find' command I could run to traverse through my system to see the rate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bstring
1 Replies
TAU_MERGE(1)							       Tools							      TAU_MERGE(1)

NAME
tau_merge - combine multiple node and or thread TAU tracefiles into a merged tracefile SYNOPSIS
tau_merge [-a] [-r] [-n] [-e eventfile_list] [-m output_eventfile] {tracefile_list} [{output_tracefile} { - }] DESCRIPTION
tau_merge is generated when TAU is configured with the -TRACE option. This tool assembles a set of tau trace and event files from multiple multiple nodes or threads across a program's execution into a single unified trace file. Many TAU trace file tools operate on merged trace files. Minimally, tau_merge must be invoked with a list of unmerged trace files followed by the desired name of the merged trace file or the - flag to send the output to the standard out. Typically the list can be designated by giving the shared name of the trace files to be merged followed by desired range of thread or node designators in brackets or the wild card character '*' to encompass variable thread and node designations in the filename (trace.A.B.C.trc where A, B and C are the node, context and thread numbers respectively). For example tautrace.*.trc would represent all tracefiles in a given directory while tautrace.[0-5].0.0.trc would represent the tracefiles of nodes 0 through 5 with context 0 and thread 0. tau_merge will generate the specified merged trace file and an event definition file, tau.edf by default. The event definition file can be given an alternative name by using the '-m' flag followed by the desired filename. A list of event definition files to be merged can be designated explicitly by using the '-e' flag followed by a list of unmerged .edf files, specified in the same manner as the trace file list. If computational resources are insufficient to merge all trace and event files simultaneously the process may be undertaken hierarchically. Corresponding subsets of the tracefiles and eventfiles may be merged in sequence to produce a smaller set of files that can then be to merged into a singular fully merged tracefile and eventfile. E.g. for a 100 node trace, trace sets 1-10, 11-20, ..., 91-100 could be merged into traces 1a, 2a, ..., 10a. Then 1a-10a could be merged to create a fully merged tracefile. OPTIONS
-e eventfile_list explicitly define the eventfiles to be merged -m output_eventfile explicitly name the merged eventfile to be created - send the merged tracefile to the standard out -a adjust earliest timestamp time to zero -r do not reassemble long events -n do not block waiting for new events. By default tau_merge will block and wait for new events to be appended if a tracefile is incomplete. This command allows offline merging of (potentially) incomplete tracefiles. EXAMPLES
To merge all TAU tracefiles into app.trc and produce a merged tau.edf eventfile: tau_merge *.trc app.trc To merge all eventfiles 0-255 into ev0_255merged.edf and TAU tracefiles for nodes 0-255 into the standard out: tau_merge -e events.[0-255].edf -m ev0_255merged.edf tautrace.[0-255].*.trc - To merge eventfiles 0, 5 and seven info ev057.edf and tau tracefiles for nodes 0, 5 and 7 with context and thread 0 into app.trc: tau_merge -e events.0.edf events.5.edf events.7.edf -m ev057.edf tautrace.0.0.0.trc tautrace.5.0.0.trc tautrace.7.0.0.trc app.trc SEE ALSO
tau_convert tau2profile tau2vtf tau2elg tau2slog2 12/22/2005 TAU_MERGE(1)