Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition Post 302910664 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 26th of July 2014 03:53:58 PM
Old 07-26-2014
I guess you can re-use the 1GB only within the volume manager i.e. lvcreate.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Must they be installed in Primary partition?

Hi, there. I know FreeBSD must be installed in primary and Linux can be installed in extended. What about NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris for x86? They must be installed in primary, too? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
4 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. Linux

how to create new partition in Linux

i want to create on directory called /data under "/ " . but when i m using mkdir /data it is telling permission denied. could any one tell me how to do it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

4. Linux

primary partition size

hi I am trying to create primary,extended and logical partitions. when I try to create a primary partition, I can give it maximum 1027M (1gb). Why? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shrink my partition to new disk

I want to backup my partitions by shrinking it my issue is like I want to create a new disk copy from only the used blocks I my current image. How would I redirect the output of resize2fs to new disk and dd the current partition so that I can boot my new image without issues and also without... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amol28kulkarni
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to shrink root file system (LVM) in Linux Fedora 9?

My root file system is of type LVM. i wanna shrink it but unable to do so. When i give the below command: resize2fs /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VolLog00 10000M it messages that online shrink can't can't be done as the logical volume is mounted on /. i switched to single user mode by giving command:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux partition with LVM

Hi, I need a suggesstion i have 2 disk if i installed OS / root partition by making Lvm in one disk and data in other disk also with the lvm, means 2 different lvms. Is making LVM partition for OS disk will the performacne will be good? Can i make 2 different lvm one is for OS and other for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

LVM based partition

Hi , Background : I am installing the KVM based RHEL OS VM on one of the HP pro-line physical server. Issue: While doing custom layout partition, i want to create partition lvm based , for example :lv_root. But problem is that, whenever i am creating the partition, its showing /sda1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nats
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Safe way to shrink lvm vg_*-lv_swap partition and reclaim freed space on Linux?

Hello, # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sda 8:0 0 38.2G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: centosadmin
2 Replies
VGDISPLAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      VGDISPLAY(8)

NAME
vgdisplay - display attributes of volume groups SYNOPSIS
vgdisplay [-A|--activevolumegroups] [-c|--colon] [-d|--debug] [-D|--disk] [-h|--help] [-s|--short] [-v[v]|--verbose [--verbose]] [--ver- sion] [VolumeGroupName...] DESCRIPTION
vgdisplay allows you to see the attributes of VolumeGroupName (or all volume groups if none is given) with it's physical and logical vol- umes and their sizes etc. OPTIONS -A, --activevolumegroups Only select the active volume groups. -c, --colon Generate colon seperated output for easier parsing in scripts or programs. The values are: 1 volume group name 2 volume group access 3 volume group status 4 internal volume group number 5 maximum number of logical volumes 6 current number of logical volumes 7 open count of all logical volumes in this volume group 8 maximum logical volume size 9 maximum number of physical volumes 10 current number of physical volumes 11 actual number of physical volumes 12 size of volume group in kilobytes 13 physical extent size 14 total number of physical extents for this volume group 15 allocated number of physical extents for this volume group 16 free number of physical extents for this volume group 17 uuid of volume group -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -D, --disk Show attributes from the volume group descriptor area on disk(s). Without this switch they are shown from the kernel. Useful if the volume group isn't activated. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -s, --short Give a short listing showing the existence of volume groups. -v, --verbose Display verbose information containing long listings of physical and logical volumes. If given twice, also display verbose runtime information of vgdisplay's activities. --version Display version and exit successfully. DIAGNOSTICS
vgdisplay returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 error reading VGDA 2 volume group doesn't exist 3 not all physical volumes of volume group online 4 volume group not found 5 no volume groups found at all 6 error reading VGDA from lvmtab 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvcreate(8), vgcreate(8), lvcreate(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGDISPLAY(8)