Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace values between 2 files Post 302910641 by arpagon on Saturday 26th of July 2014 09:52:48 AM
Old 07-26-2014
Scissors Replace values between 2 files

I want to replace the third and fourth lines of a 2nd file by the first two lines of a file.

Input:
Code:
file_1 
file_1.line_1 
file_1.line_2

file_2
Code:
file_2.line_1
<file_2.line_2_blank>
file_2.line_3 
file2.line_4
<file_2.line_5_blank>

Output:
Code:
file_2.line1
<file_2.line_2_blank>
file_1.line_1
file_1.line_2
<file_2.line_5_blank>

What I have done is really to long:
Code:
1. 'grep file2.line1' > temp
2.echo  file_1.line_1 >> temp
 3.echo file_1.line_2 >> temp
4.echo the rest of file2 >> temp 
5.mv temp file_2

I hope to be clear enough
tankx guys

I hope to be clear enough

tankx guys

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 07-26-2014 at 11:48 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace hex values only in specific files

perl -pi -e 's/\x00/\x0d\x0a/g' `grep -l $'GS' filelist` This isn't working :confused:, it's not pulling the files that contain the regex. Please help me rewrite this :wall:. Ideally for this to work on 9K of 20K files in the directory, I've tried this but I don't know enough about awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat Values from Several files if it meets criteria for column values

I have results from some statistical analyses. The format of the results are as given below: I want to select lines that have a p-value (last column) less than 0.05 from all the results files (*.results) and cat to a new results file. It would be very nice if a new column is added that tells... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query the table and return values to shell script and search result values from another files.

Hi, I need a shell script, which would search the result values from another files. 1)execute " select column1 from table_name" query on the table. 2)Based on the result, need to be grep from .wft files. could please explain about this.Below is the way i am using. #!/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two values in a file with input from two different files

Hi, I was having the following issue cat input hello1, my name is unix.com. I am awesome. Hope you know this, hello2! cat hello1.txt Hi Friends Hi Folks Hi Well-Wishers cat hello2.txt Honey Sweety Darling Required Output (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values

Gents, Please can you help me with this. When column 49 == 2 Need to do the following changes; Change previous row field (substr$0,45,4)-1 Change previous row field (substr$0,72,5)+2 Change actual row field (substr$0,40,4)+1 Change actual row field (substr$0,49,1)-1 Change actual... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values

Gents, Can you please help with this. Input file 49955 2009 2 49957 2010 2 49959 2010 2 49961 2010 2 49963 2010 2 49789 2011 -174 49791 2011 2 49793 2011 2 49795 2011 2 49965 2011 170 49967 2011 2 49969 2011 2 49971 2011 2 49797 2012 -174 49799 2012 2 (8 Replies)
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To transpose and replace the values

Hi Guys, I am having a file like below AZ_H,NZ_K,IN_F,AZ1_A output required AZ_H string, NZ_K int, IN_F int, AZ1_A double the values will starting like below _A - double _F - int _H - string _K - int (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match value in two files and replace values in selected columns

The purpose is to check if values for column 3 and 4 in file1 match with column 1 in file2. If any value match do: 1) Replace values in file2 for column 2 and 3 using the information of file1 columns 5 and 6 2) Replace string ($1,1,5) and string ($1,6,5) in file2 with values of columns 7... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace Stub Values In One Group Of Files With Actual Values From Another Group Of Files

I have two directories of files (new-config-files and old-config-files): new-config-files/this-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/that-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/old-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/new-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/random-database/config.inc.php etc. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)