Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Why /bin/su permission with SUID? Post 302910392 by kwliew999 on Thursday 24th of July 2014 05:53:35 AM
Old 07-24-2014
Why /bin/su permission with SUID?

Dear all experts in this forum,
I have faced a audit issue as auditor told that we should not have SUID on /bin/su. As I have checked using Google, I found most of the site only telling that /bin/su should have the permission bit as -rwsr-xr-x but never explain why /bin/su need this permission setting?

Any expert out there can explain this to me why we need the SUID on /bin/su?
As the auditor asked to remove the SUID, what will be the result after that? And why the /bin/su without SUID is more secure? Is that a industry standard for this?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

today i started the LFS book (version 4.0). Basically i am using slackware 9.0 to try and install a new linux completely from source on another partition. Now i took the book's recommendations and created a user called lfs so i wouldn't have to do the stuff as root, and i have got the new LFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calum
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

3. Solaris

/usr/bin has been changed with 777 permission

Hello Guruz, Relay bad condition :mad: Some has changed the permission to 777 recursively for /usr/bin directory by mistake. Now all the permission looks to be 777 on /usr/bin Hence I am so many system related errors as 1 show below. When I am trying to change the password, I am getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

I accidentally changed to only write permission on /usr/bin... please Help!

I accidentally changed to sudo chmod a=w to my /usr/bin folder on my macbook with OS 10.5.8... Please help! I can't even get into a terminal correctly cause it displays: -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scaryMac23
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

/bin strange permission, corrupted? [solved]

Hi I think my /bin is corrupted which is why I can’t boot my server.. Anyone knows what below file permission means? # ls -l /mnt/sysimage | grep bin drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 Sep 29 11:23 sbin ?r--rw-x 41112 16694 1305152 0 Feb 10 2055 bin Tried overwriting, deleting,chmod,chown but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Retrieve all the permission of the /bin folder

hello friends, By mistake I have run find / -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; now all permission has been chaged of /bin I am not able to change the permission. I am working on the virtuozzo VPS. Is their any way to retrieve the permission to 770 to /bin Note /bin/chmod also not executing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharlin
2 Replies

8. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)					   Open VM Tools				       VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)

NAME
vmware-user-suid-wrapper - wrapper programm for vmware-user(1) SYNOPSIS
vmware-user-suid-wrapper DESCRIPTION
Operations on the vmblock(9) filesystem are considered privileged, and as such may only be issued on a file descriptor acquired by root. This is accomplished by vmware-user-suid-wrapper, a small setuid wrapper whose only purpose is to acquire a filesystem file descriptor, drop superuser privileges, and then execute vmware-user(1). In particular, prepare the system for vmware-user means that it unmounts the vmblock file system, unloads the vmblock module, then reloads the module, mounts the file system, and opens a file descriptor that vmware- user can use to add and remove blocks. OPTIONS
vmware-user-suid-wrapper has no options. SEE ALSO
vmware-checkvm(1) vmware-hgfsclient(1) vmware-toolbox(1) vmware-toolbox-cmd(1) vmware-user(1) vmware-xferlogs(1) libguestlib(3) libvmtools(3) vmware-guestd(8) vmware-hgfsmounter(8) vmblock(9) vmci(9) vmhgfs(9) vmmemctl(9) vmsock(9) vmsync(9) vmxnet(9) vmxnet3(9) HOMEPAGE
More information about vmware-user-suid-wrapper and the Open VM Tools can be found at <http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
Open VM Tools were written by VMware, Inc. <http://www.vmware.com/>. This manual page was put together from homepage materials by Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 2010.03.20-243334 2010-04-08 VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)