Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting Details from string -- Help Me!!! Post 302910377 by ChandanN on Thursday 24th of July 2014 03:15:12 AM
Old 07-24-2014
Question Extracting Details from string -- Help Me!!!

Hi Experts,

I am executing a script in bash profile and having file path as follows:
Code:
$FilePath=$HOST_NAME_LAND/home/chandan/abc.txt

where $HOST_NAME_LAND is an environment variable which points to the server name.
Code:
export $HOST_NAME_LAND=//<server name>

The environment variable name and server name may vary for different modules.

What I need is to separate the file path(/home/chandan/abc.txt) from the environment variable($HOST_NAME_LAND), to check the existence of the file on that server?

Need your help!!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Upayan

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-24-2014 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting String from a list

I have a string of Data such as Date Time Tran1 Tran2 Tran3 ...... How can I extract just all the trans excluding Date and Time. Thanks, Odogbolu98 ;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting from a string

How do I extract 5th to 10th characters of string as given below stored in a shell variable. "ab cd ef gh ij kl" How is cut to be used on this? Thanks for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preetikate
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a string

Hi All, I am writing a shell script for which I am stuck with an extraction part. I arrived till extraction of a path of file. Lets take an example. I now have a file which contains following one line: 2348/home/userid/mydir/any_num_dir/myfile.text Now I want to extract only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: start_shell
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting String

I am trying to extract a hyperlink from a html document using awk. I have managed to output in the format... href="index.html"> where i would like it just to output index.html. Any ideas on how i would do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adpe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Date from string

Hi Gurus I want to extract a date and version code which shall come in filename consisting of underscores. The filename can contain any / one underscores but the version number will come after date and will be separted by underscore String formats ============= ABC_20090815_2.csv... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting particular string in a file and storing matched string in output file

Hi , I have input file and i want to extract below strings <msisdn xmlns="">0492001956</ msisdn> => numaber inside brackets <resCode>3000</resCode> => 3000 needs to be extracted <resMessage>Request time getBalances_PSM.c(37): d out</resMessage></ns2:getBalancesResponse> => the word... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting numbers from a String

Hi all, I'm a new programmer to shell script... and I have no idea how to use substring. I want to extract the numbers from the following string and place it into a variable: "170 unique conformations found" The numbers can be more than three digits depending on the case. I just want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ah7391
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at -l doesnt give details of the scheduled job. How to get the details?

I have scheduled couple of shell scripts to run using 'at' command. The o/p of at -l is: $ at -l 1320904800.a Thu Nov 10 01:00:00 2011 1320894000.a Wed Nov 9 22:00:00 2011 1320876000.a Wed Nov 9 17:00:00 2011 $ uname -a SunOS dc2prcrptetl2 5.9 Generic_122300-54 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superparticle
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)