Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strip out number from wc output? Post 302910359 by neutronscott on Wednesday 23rd of July 2014 09:43:07 PM
Old 07-23-2014
so the output seems to be of only 1 wc command? $() will only strip the last \n. it sounds like a \r but wc shouldn't output that. is this Windows or Cygwin?

if you do
Code:
echo "$(wc -l file) $(wc -l file)" | cat -e

do you get
Code:
0 file^M0 file$

if so try replacing wc with a function that'll strip that
Code:
wc() { command wc "$@" | sed 's/\r//'; }

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Strip lines off Streamed EDI Output

Attached is a streamed EDI ANSI X12 output where the segment terminator/delimiter is a tilde ~ character. Is it possible to do the following pseudo-code in a unix script (using either sed, awk and/or grep)? Open file StreamedOutput.txt Search for ISA and delete the data up to the tilde ~ char... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapedi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Output/Strip portion of file in HP-UX

I have a file, we'll call it file.txt. It has thousands of lines of all kinds of output at any given time (ie. foo bar foo bar) I need to copy out just a portion of the file from Point-A to Point-B. I'd like to save off just that portion to a file called test123xyz.txt. How do I do that? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: austin881
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with given number and express output

file A eebbbeeeeee file B 4 Question is by file B and look into file A output is b awk -v v1=4 file B or something else (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract particular number from the command output

Hi Folks, I want to use particular number as a variable output..Please find the below for scenario... Example 1:- Below output i want to use secondary group 9003 as a variable output $ id -a |awk -NF '{print $3}' groups=99(local),9003(testadmin) Else I want to use 2006 as a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk number output

Hi, I have a problem when doing calculations in awk. I want to add up a few numbers and output the result. testfile: 48844322.87 7500.00 10577415.87 3601951.41 586877.64 1947813.89 $ awk '{x=x+$1};END{print x}' testfile 6.55659e+07The problem is the number format. It should show... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting awk Output as number instead of String

Hi All, I have a file a.txt, content as mentioned below: 22454750 This data in this control file and I have a variable called vCount which contains a number. I need to extract the 22454750 from the above file and compare with the variable vCount. If match fine or else exit. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The number of links, output of ls

hi: i am trying to understand the concept of the output of ls command, specifically "number of links" for a directory and got utterly confused: 1) when i made first directory in my home directory: dave@host:~:$ mkdir dir_l1 from the perspective of home directory, the link number for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipfreak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output lines less than number

I am trying to output all lines in a file where $7 is less than 30. The below code does create a result file, but with all lines in the original file. The original file is tab deliminated is that the problem? Thank you :). awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=","} $7 < 30 {print}' file.txt > result.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to output non-number lines with grep?

I want to check my data quality. I want to output the lines with non-number. I used the grep command: grep '' myfile.csv Since my file is csv file, I don't want to output the lines with comma. And I also don't want to output "." or space. But I still get the lines like the following:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: twotwo
8 Replies
SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-table - GNU shtool pretty-print a field-separated list SYNOPSIS
shtool table [-F|--field-sep sep] [-w|--width width] [-c|--columns cols] [-s|--strip strip] strsepstr... DESCRIPTION
This pretty-prints a list of strings as a table. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -F, --field-sep sep Separate columns using sep. Default is ":". -w, --width width Width of each column. Default is 15 characters. -c, --columns cols Number of columns. Default is 3. -s, --strip strip Strip off any characters past strip. Default is 79. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool table -F , -w 5 -c 4 "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12" HISTORY
The GNU shtool table command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1999 for GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), tr(1), fmt(1), sh(1), awk(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)