Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading in MM/DD/YY, find Day of Week Post 302910014 by gjws on Tuesday 22nd of July 2014 04:22:42 AM
Old 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
Yes there is a better approach.

You can use the shell to get the DATE directly like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

while read DATE TIME rest
do
    date --date="$DATE" +%A
done < output

Thanks, but I think you missed the point of my post. I need to convert the date that is contained in the file, in to a day of the week. I do not need to know the current day of the week according to the system.

** EDIT **

I'm an idiot. Thank you very much Chubler_XL, this does indeed work!

I misunderstood how this would work when I read it. Once tried "in anger" it works perfectly.

Thanks again Chubler_XL!

Last edited by gjws; 07-22-2014 at 06:25 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating the day of the week

Hi all, I would like to calculate the day of the week using a supplied date. i.e. 20011012 = Day 5. Any ideas? Many thanks, ligs (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ligs
4 Replies

2. Programming

Function that gets the day of the week (0-6) ??

Hi , I am working at Unix system,using c lang. I need c fun which return the day of the week . For example : 0- Sunday. 1- Monday. .... 10x. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yesterday's Day of week

I need o get yesterday's day of week but im not exactly sure. the actual name is what i want. I can do it with numbers but im not sure with words. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing First Day Of The Week?

Hi All, Our system is running on Solaris 8 and we are using US locale. By default the First Day Of Week is Sunday, is it possible for us to change it to Monday? I have googled it but found very little of use. THanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fowlerleftfoot
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find Day of the Week from the given date (Perl)?

How to find the Day of the Week of the given Date using perl? If I have a date in YYY--MM-DD format, how to find the DOW? Based on that, I need to find the following sunday. Pls help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Get Day of Week from date

Hi All, I have date in string format 'YYYY-MM-DD'. I want to know day of the week for this date. Example. For '2005-08-21' my script should return '0' or Sunday For '2005-08-22' it should return '1' or Monday I want piece of code for HP-UX korn shell. Appreciate reply on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpapaiya
5 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to find 'Day of week' in Linux system

Hi All, I want to find a day of week for the Linux system. can some one help me on this.. Thanks in advance, Raji. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajinavaneethan
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Find Day of Week

In HP-UX the date command does not have the "-d" switch like some other *nixes do. I'm working a simple script to tell me, given the day, month and year what day of the week that falls on. Assuming valid day, month and year input (I'd perform quality checks on the input separately, but not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwuerth
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudoers for one day per week?

I have been volunteered by my boss to be the sysadmin for our production redhat server. He asked me to tighten the security to avoid mishaps like "rm -f *" that occured not long ago. Right now, we have 53 users sudo-ing into the machine and it is an audit nightmare. I am wondering if it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the week's day

Hi All, I have the below requirement , if i give the week number for ex 41 i need to get the date for Monday and thursday for this given week. my expected output is 13/10/2014 (Monday's date) and 16/10/2014 (Thursday's date) I am using GNU LINUX . Pls help me with your thoughts. Thanks in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
7 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)