Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup software for AIX
Operating Systems AIX Backup software for AIX Post 302909905 by rbatte1 on Monday 21st of July 2014 09:56:18 AM
Old 07-21-2014
Welcome madmacher,

It depends what you want to be able to restore. If what you really are asking is "How do i take a backup that I can clone my server with rather than a base install and manual reconfiguration", then AIX has a lovely utility, mksysb

This will write to tape or filesystems (which you can then force out to DVD or move to a NIM server) in a way that you can boot from. The installation process then kicks in and recreates your rootvg. 3rd party software can be used to recover the contents of your other volume groups.

Here is the mksysb manual page

I hope that this helps. Apologies if I've misinterpreted the question.
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enterprise backup software

My company has been an OmniBack shop for about 2 years now. We use it to backup both Unix and NT servers as well as a Network Appliance Filer. For the most part it has sufficed for what we do. However, management is considering changing to another backup software. We are considering either staying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software

I am new to unix. The backup software is not working on my unix server. If I try to open the software app, the window opens then closes right away. This machine was built by and setup by someone else. Does unix have its own backup software, and is there something I can try to access the backup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyp
2 Replies

3. AIX

Where i can find gmake software for AIX 5.2

Where i can find gmake software for AIX 5.2 Thanks Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software for UNIX systems

Hi, which software is recommended for backup of UNIX systems ( e.g. SUN, Solaris ). Backup software and database e.g. Oracle. One possibility is Networker, but license is expensive and also service contract. Best regards Dieter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
2 Replies

5. Solaris

backup software

dear friends, i am not a expert in solaris 10, i want to practice backup software . where from i can download backup software free . (EBS, legato or any ) please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
4 Replies

6. Solaris

backup software

Anyone have a recommendation for backup software either built in or third party? Simple is good. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
1 Replies

7. AIX

Linux software on AIX 5.3

Hi Team, On a client requirement, we need to install below Linux software on IBM AIX 5.3 operating system, Apache Maven 3.2.3 MySQL 5.1.73, Sonarqube 4.1.2, Apache Tomcat 7.0.42, Jenkins 1.549 Please tell us whether above tool versions are compatible to AIX 5.3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnr.simha23
4 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring software on IBM AIX

Hi, I am looking for monitoring software like Zabbix, to run it on AIX server. I have many problems with Zabbix and MySQL installation on AIX. I dont have IBM XL C/C++ compiler. Has anyone know similar solution like Zabbix that works on IBM AIX? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackbz
11 Replies
BACKUP_DELVOLSET(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_DELVOLSET(8)

NAME
backup_delvolset - Deletes one or more volume sets from the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup delvolset -name <volume set name>+ [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup delvols -n <volume set name>+ [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup delvolset command deletes each volume set named by the -name argument, and the volume entries each contains, from the Backup Database. The backup listvolsets command lists the volume sets (and their volume entries) currently defined in the Backup Database. CAUTIONS
Deleting a temporary volume set is possible only within the interactive session in which it was created. Exiting the interactive session also destroys the temporary volume set automatically. OPTIONS
-name <volume set name>+ Names each volume set to delete. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command deletes the volume set called user and all volume entries in it: % backup delvolset user PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_addvolentry(8), backup_addvolset(8), backup_delvolentry(8), backup_listvolsets(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_DELVOLSET(8)