Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Install AIX , do i need hmc console Post 302908709 by bakunin on Wednesday 9th of July 2014 08:59:45 PM
Old 07-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpkrk
about install and configuring the VIOS server , can you give me some tips , if you have any book
Have a look at IBMs "Redbook" series, they are usually very well written and quite exhaustive.

Specifically installing a VIOS: consider doing it via a NIM server. See the man page of the "installios" command, but you might want to read up about virtualisation concepts from IBM first.

Basically, a VIOS is heavily customized AIX with a lot of added commands and specialized middleware to fulfill its purpose. Because it comes from a time when IBM was "appliance-crazy", you can't administrate it like any other machine but have to learn other - similar, but different - commands to do what you can do on any other system.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX HMC LSCOD with space

I am trying to run the lscod command against an HMC that has managed system names with spaces. Tried enclosing the managed system names in quotes; single and double. How do I get the command to run? ssh hmcname lscod -m 'managed system 1' -t cap -r proc -c cuod Thanks, ~Donavon (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: djlerman
0 Replies

2. AIX

Unable to Switch tasks when trying to open console window in HMC

Hi, I am trying to open a console window through the HMC. When I choose to do this the toolbar at the top left of the HMC screen show 'Open Terminal Window'. However when I click on it I am getting the error - "The tsak you want to switch to is an applet based task, which dowes not support... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

3. AIX

How to exit system console from HMC?

Hi, I ssh to HMC, then vtmenu, then start a system console from there. How do I exit the console to return to HMC prompt? I've tried the following two key combinations but none of them is working: (1) ~~ (2) Ctrl+[, Shift+( Thank you in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

4. AIX

AIX and HMC installation issue

I started the AIX install with a fiber channel disk, and let it run: restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp. . . . . . << End of copyright notice for perfagent.tools >>. . . . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gideon1a
2 Replies

5. Solaris

HMC console fo SPARC machines

Hi I wonder how to create HMC console for machines where is SOLARIS10 installed SPARC platform ? Is there some free way ? thx for help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
6 Replies

6. AIX

Upgrade AIX without HMC

Hi all, i would like to know if it's possible upgrade AIX 5.3 to 6.1 on a LPAR without use the HMC. so i would like to know if i must use the console to do it or i can do all from the up&running system on LPAR. Thanks in advance. Mario (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
4 Replies

7. AIX

Install AIX lpar via hmc, can't access cd drive

Hi , I would like to access the cd drive of , i have power series server , and have lpars . I try to install AIX in an lpar via HMC, but it can't access the cd drive. how i can make installtion or make the the cd drive accessible in hmc or in power series server? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
2 Replies

8. AIX

View IP of HMC from AIX

Trying to get the IP address of the HMC connected to some servers running AIX 6 and 7. I thought this would be as easy as running 'lsrsrc IBM.MCP IPAddresses', but when I run that command, the resource is empty. Is there some where else I should be looking, or is there a reason why this resource... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: acascianelli
5 Replies

9. AIX

AIX: DLPAR VFC - HMC v9

Hey All, I have running dual VIOS on a P9 systems, and just created a new LPAR profile. My objective is to create LPAR Client VFC adapters, and then DLPAR VFC Server adapters on the VIOS. In the HMC v9 Enhanced GUI, I have DLPAR a VFC adapter to both VIOS, however, you can't specify the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixkidbee
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Hmc lpar console integration

We want to integrate powervm by using openstack with hmc. Now we encounter problem with the console, we can open the terminal within hmc, and I think hmc using tech java applet. sample applet code like <applet codebase="https://172.16.28.174/hmc/"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagle
0 Replies
BOS_SETRESTRICTED(8)					       AFS Command Reference					      BOS_SETRESTRICTED(8)

NAME
bos_setrestricted - place a server in restricted mode SYNOPSIS
bos setrestricted -server <machine name> -mode 1 [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] DESCRIPTION
The bos restricted command places the server in restricted mode. This mode increases the security of the bos server by removing access to a number of bos commands that are only used whilst configuring a system. When a server is in restricted mode, access to bos_exec, bos uninstall, bos install, bos create, bos install, bos delete, bos prune is denied, and the use of bos getlog is limited. CAUTIONS
Once a server has been placed in restricted mode, it may not be opened up again using a remote command. That is, bos setrestricted has no method of setting an unrestricted mode. Once a server is restricted, it can only be opened up again by sending it a SIGFPE, which must be done as root on the local machine. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the server machine to restrict. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged in as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. As noted above, this command cannot be run against servers which are already in restricted mode. SEE ALSO
bos(8) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2009 Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Simon Wilkinson for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_SETRESTRICTED(8)