Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Manipulation of file/folder with output of command Post 302908284 by mjf on Saturday 5th of July 2014 08:11:06 PM
Old 07-05-2014
You should post the code you have tried so we can see what you are doing wrong.

This will do what you have described.

Code:
mv `date +"%Y%m%d"` sommelier

Last edited by mjf; 07-05-2014 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Replaced hardcoded "20" with %Y
This User Gave Thanks to mjf For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Usage in GB and Unix command to find the biggest file/folder

Hi All, Please help me out 1) Command to find the disk usage in GB. I know that du -k will give in kilobites. 2) How to find the Biggest file/folder in a given set of files/folders. Thanks in advance Regards, Manas (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving 100K file to another folder using 1 command

Hi, I need to move 1000s of files from one folder to another. Actually there are 100K+ files. Source dir : source1 Target dir : target1 Now if try cp or mv commands I am getting an error message : Argument List too long. I tried to do it by the time the files are created in the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Command to rename a file in a zipped folder

Hi, I am into automation work. Is there any UNIX command to rename a file in a zipped folder, without unzipping it..??? Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Victoria.Sam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash folder manipulation - selecting/copying specified files

Bash/scripting newbie here - I feel this might be a trivial problem, but I'm not sure how to tackle it. I've got a folder of a year's worth of files, with some random number of files generated every day of the year (but at least one per day). I'm writing a script to automatically grab the file with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WildGooseChased
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output string manipulation possible in one line?

This has been bothering me for 3 days. $> hostname cepsun64amd And I just want "cepsun", I would normally do h=`hostname`; ${h%%64*} But I am looking for a one-liner just for my own knowledge, because if there is a way to do this, I should know it by now. Anyway, so is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan.
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using any file in folder as command input

Hi all, I have a command I need to run on a large number of folders. It needs only one input, namely one of the 150 files in the folder (doesn't matter which one): command filenameThe problem is that the names of the files are random, so I was trying to just get the first file by using list and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linnnnn
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command to preserve the folder/file arrangement

Hi, I do have question for un tar a file. I have several 'tar'ed files. For example: SRS.tar.bz2. I was trying to untar them in a linux server using the command: tar xvjf SRS.tar.bz2 It worked perfectly. but when I open this file in my mac computer all the files are extracted into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)