Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to extract date from a file? Post 302908178 by clx on Friday 4th of July 2014 09:23:16 AM
Old 07-04-2014
Have you tried something? What you can think of for the approach?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract date portion from file

Hi, I have a file where there is a date field (single line variable length file) how to extract just the date portion from it the position of date field may vary anywhere in the line but will always have the format mm-dd-yyyy for eg . xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx09-10-2006xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: misenkiser
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Date from file

I am new to unix scripting. we are using bash. My task is I have dir which contains 30 files. The first column in each file is Date field. For all the files I need to extract the date part Ex(2007-09-05) from the file and add that at the end of that file. for example: The file names are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract date with time from file

Hi, I have a file where there is a date and time field, the format for it is yyyy-mm-dd hours:mins:sec the position of date field may vary anywhere in the line and it might be different and it is specified along with the variable AppTimeStamp how do i extract date and time both from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash_b
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Expiry date and server_name from the following file

Hi Guys, I am trying to write one ksh script where I have to go to lots of unix boxes and read one text file which will have data like this though this is not complete data. And I just have to extract expire date ( which is 2nd date value 08/31/2009 in the first one ) and the server name ( astro... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from log file

Hello All, I just need to extract the date portion from a apache log file I am able to do it using the chain of command - Logfile contents - First record - ========================== 197.130.211.240 - - "GET /jp/index.shtml HTTP/1.1" 200 24255... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from log file from or after the specific date

Hi , I am having a script which will start a process and appends the process related logs to a log file. The log file writes logs with every line starting with date in the format of: date +"%Y %b %d %H:%M:%S". So, in the script, before I start the process, I am storing the date as DATE=`date +"%Y... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract date and time separately from the file name

Hi., My current script extracts only if the date and time are in 3rd and 4th pos. #!/bin/bash echo "Enter the file name to extract the timestamp" read fname IFILE=$fname F=$IFILE IFS="_." f=($F) echo "Date ${f} Time ${f}" How to generalize the script to extract the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from filename and create a new file

Hi, i have a filename CRED20102009.txt in a server 20102009 is the date of the file ddmmaaaa format the complete route is /dprod/informatica/Fuentes/CRED20102009.csv i want to extract the date to create a new file named Parameters.txt I need to create Parameters.txt with this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel1001
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract date ranged data from log file

Hi, I am trying to extract lines of data within a log file on a Redhat 5 Linux system. eg I need all the lines with a particular username over the last 3 minutes. the log file may read like this, and I want a way to search all the lines extracting all the relevant lines over the last 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mantis100
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from files based on file pattern

I want to extract dates from the files and i have different types of files with pattern. I have list file with the patterns and want to date extract based on it in a sh script Files in the directory : file1_20160101.txt file2_20160101_abc.txt filexyz20160101.txt list file with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)