Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trace / Debug Howto?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Trace / Debug Howto? Post 302907839 by bbq on Thursday 3rd of July 2014 09:18:11 AM
Old 07-03-2014
Thanks very much guys

That's the kind of stuff I have been looking for.

I'll certainly play around with the code posted and I wasn't aware of the select command, I assumed it was something low level in the kernal maybe Smilie

I still don't know what the file descriptors are, as since running under strace it hasn't failed. But if it does I should be able to discover where the problem is.

I don't know if the -n will help with this version of the harness. But if things get bad I'll try it.

The harness uses ssh multiplexing to add the ssh connections to NIX domain sockets and then echos stdout from the remote server into a local report file in real time.

The new version I'm working on uses a messaging framework to send a report file so shouldn't have any issues like this.

I hope Smilie

Thanks for the feed back, really helpful stuff.

---------- Post updated at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:50 AM ----------

That's really interesting MIG Smilie

I wasn't aware of that behaviour before.

Thanks

---------- Post updated 03-07-14 at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous update was 02-07-14 at 05:37 PM ----------

Thanks to all of you for your help.

The job eventually failed again and I was able to trace the problem to a hanging write to a named pipe that the client process had died on.

I've put in a rather ugly fix that does the write in the background and then kills $! if it is still running.

It would be better if I could test if a process is listening on the end of the pipe but I haven't found a way of doing so.

Does anyone know if that can be done?

Thanks again for all the helpful input

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trace connections

In my organization in order for anyone to go to any Unix server they have to go through "SERVER A" and login as themselves. Then people are free to go enywhere they please. For example: SERVER A, loggs in as himself telnets to SERVER B, loggs in as guest telnets to SERVER C, loggs in as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraitsev
8 Replies

2. IP Networking

trace route ip

hi everybody , i have a solaris 5.6 box and i want to trace the route on an ip i treid traceroute but soalris 5.6 does not support it ... is there a command that can be used equivelent to traceroute ? thanks for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Trace

Does anyone know if there is a util out there to run through a shell script and be able to trace the function call tree. I have inherited some code and the original author was ****mad**** keen on functions - even ones called only once! If anyone knows of anything I would appreciate it - web... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trace DHCP - Help!

Can someone help me with commands to trace DHCP on an HP_UX box? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuGuy
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to trace the logs

Hi, Last day, In one of our unix boxes there was an issue wherein few of the directory structures were missing / got deleted. Is there any way by which we can find how it happened, I mean by going through syslog / which user had run what command? Thanks for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to supress the trace

Hi I am working in ksh and getting the trace after trying to remove the file which in some cases does not exist: $ my_script loadfirm.dta.master: No such file or directory The code inside the script which produces this trace is the following: ] || rm ${FILE}.master >> /dev/null for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Log Trace

Hi I would like to display only error messages from my log files while monotring application on my solaris box using tail command. Is there other way we can monitor please let me know? In general # tail -f "xyz.log' ---> this will display current activity of the logs, instead i would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with trace file

Hi, I am an oracle DBA pretty new to unix. We had one of the filesystems full and a colleague cleared some stuffs to create more space. I just checked now and found there is now more space available. How do i find exactly what he cleared? We have oracle database installed and its a RAC... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stack Trace

Hi All Thought it would be kind of fun to implement a stack trace for a shell script that calls functions within a sub shell. This is for bash under Linux and probably not portable - #! /bin/bash error_exit() { echo "=======================" echo $1 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

10. AIX

Trace su to root

Hi, is it possible to trace everything about user that changes from its own user to root user, failed and successful attempts (I would need user and IP address of user that was trying to do that)? I tried adding auth.notice and auth.info in syslog.conf but it only tracks user withoud IP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprehodec
6 Replies
LDP(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    LDP(7)

NAME
LDP - Intro to the Linux Documentation Project, with help, guides and documents SYNOPSIS
The Linux Documentation Project (LDP) provides a variety of free documentation resources including guides, FAQs, HOWTOs, and man-pages to the Linux community. AUTHORS
The various documents in the LDP archives are maintained by individual authors, and are listed in the beginning of each HOWTO. If you have any questions or inputs to a document we encourage you to contact the authors directly. WEB PAGES
The LDP has its own dedicated web site as do many of the various translations projects which are linked from the main LDP web site at: http://www.tldp.org/ MAN PAGES
A web page with status information for manual pages and translations is found at: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/ MAILING LISTS
LDP has a number of mailing lists, such as <announce@en.tlpd.org> Announcements from the LDP project <discuss@en.tldp.org> General discussion on the LDP project <docbook@en.tldp.org> Questions about the use of DocBook For subscription information, see the website. If you are interested in DocBook beyond the simple markup of your LDP document, you may want to consider joining one of the OASIS DocBook mailing lists. Please see http://docbook.org/mailinglist/index.html for more information. FILES
Most distributions include the HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs in the installation /usr/doc/ (old place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/ (new place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/ (HOWTO files) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/mini/ (mini-HOWTO files) SEE ALSO
info(1), man(1), xman(1x) info pages as read with emacs(1) or info(1) LDP
2001-11-15 LDP(7)