Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Dont Allow Exitting from a Script Post 302907433 by Don Cragun on Friday 27th of June 2014 07:46:46 PM
Old 06-27-2014
It is quite possible to specify a shell script (or other application program) as a login shell in /etc/passwd. Then, when that user logs in, all they get is access to that program. If they break out of that program; they're back to a login prompt. But, if the application program specified as the login shell has a shell escape mechanism, the system is theirs to play with as they see fit.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

I dont want this

Im creating a sort of shell, for my cybercafe This will restrict my clients from accessing unwanted materials so im programming a similar bash to 1. to meet my goals 2. to learn new things. im creating it in C, please have a look at the attachement. i wish to avoid having a blank space... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command << EOF(dont want to call other script)

Dear Freinds, Help needed in input redirection . My problem is as follows.. I have a shell script as follows which calls another gnuplot script . datagen.sh #!/bin/ksh gnuplot plot_I.plt In the above file I am calling another file called plot_I.plt which reside in the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script dont' break out

I have concurrent manager stop and check to verify all the process are stopped BUT even after all the process are stopped query script continues to run without break out. # stop the concurrent manager $COMMON_TOP/admin/scripts/$CONTEXT_NAME/adstpall.sh $DB_USER/$DB_PSWD # check if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul.S
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple While Loop not exitting

Hi Experts, Im running a bit complicated sql script and for reasons of scheduling,I wrapped it around in a simple shell script. So, when I run it, it do creates an output file and writes to it everytime I run it & this is what exactly I wanted. However, it is not exiting the while loop no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PG3
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want to mention user id passwd in shell script

Hi, i have one shell script which transfers files from one server to other server through FTP, but i can see login id and password is not mentioned. kindly help to understand the script.then how below script is working if login and password is not mentioned in script #!/bin/sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ni3b007
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Call a UNIX script inside another and dont wait for it

Hi I have two scripts script1.sh and script2.sh(say this script is a long running). I want to call script2.sh inside and script1.sh,but when i call script2.sh i dont want to wait for script2 to complete and want this to run in back ground and go on next commands in script 1.sh and finally at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script dont works when executed as cronjob

Hello, i have cronjob: crontab -l * * * * * pkill -f domexpcheck;sh /root/dom/domexpcheck.sh it runs: /var/log/cron Mar 25 12:11:01 vps crond: (root) CMD (pkill -f domexpcheck;sh /root/dom/domexpcheck.sh) but somehow script dont run properly via cronjob. But when i execute cronjob... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help on simple script as i dont know numch about UNIX scripting

Hello All, My name is vasu and I am very new to Unix scripting, i know basic commands, but now i need to write the following script, i have tried but no luck My requirment is i am getting one our from another command as following Used:1.8TB Advisory Quota:1.8TB aaa1 Used:4.5TB Advisory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
1 Replies

9. Programming

Shell script - if statements dont work

hi all, i have made a shell script and it runs until it reaches the if statement, doesn't the ! mean only if the command fails it will echo me that message and then exit can anyone please help me what is wrong with my code? many thanks, rob #!/bin/bash echo "is this archive... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
10 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)