Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Msgget(2) returns 0 - a workaround fix Post 302906830 by mr_bandit on Monday 23rd of June 2014 08:33:44 PM
Old 06-23-2014
Msgget(2) returns 0 - a workaround fix

Greetings:

I am posting this because my searches for this problem only came up with two posts and no helpful suggestions. I have a "solution" (read work-around hack) and have not tried yet to find a root cause, and may never because I am busy doing other things (read working to pay the bills).

However, I post this with two goals:
1. For the poor shmuck at 3am
2. document in case someone really has a wild hair (hare?) up their butt

Simply put, msgget(2) will return 0 for some reason, which the msgsnd(2) and msgrcv(2) do not like. My notes indicate msgsnd() was OK, and msgrcv() complained, but this was 12 hours into a debugging session....

There are two threads I have found in the interwebs:
forums.codeguru (dot) com/showthread.php?403036-strange-problem-in-using-msgget%28%29-in-Linux
and
unix (dot) com/programming/3755-about-msgget-troble.html

Both of these threads are "old" and closed, otherwise I would have responded to one of them.

NOTE: The codeguru.com has the best code example. The unix.com code has what may be a fatal flaw: it uses IPC_EXCL as part of the permissions - so the second time it is run it should complain, unless he first removed the message queue. However, he should have gotten errno == EEXIST and it appears he did not - he does print errno.

The Linux distro is Ubunto 8, not patched. Because the other posts are from 2006 and 2005, the CPU does not seem to be an issue.

The interesting thing is:
Running ipcs gives (in addition to various semaphores and shared memory):

Code:
 ------ Message Queues -------- 
key        msqid      owner      perms   used-bytes   messages 
0x000000f0 163840     gfi        666        0            0
0x0000007b 32769      gfi        666        0            0

The original key was 0xF0 which returned 0x8000 when it was working. The hex for the decimal 163840 = 0x28000. I arbitrarily tried a key of 0x7B (well, decimal 123) and got a msgqid = 0x8001 (which == 32769 decimal).

I also see cases in my slime trail that when msgget() was returning non-zero, for a while it returned 0x10001. In all cases I am using an int to hold the msgQ_id. The key = 0xF0 returns 0, not 0x8000, so truncation is not an issue. I have not tried switching back to a key = 0xF0. I will try looking on another system running the same code (ie using 0xF0) to see what ipcs shows.

Another thing: 0 is supposed to be a legal return:
Quote:
Upon successful completion, msgget() returns a non-negative integer, namely a message queue identifier. Otherwise, it returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error.
So - I don't know why msgget() will start returning 0. Honestly, I had another bug which (for a while) masked what msgsnd() was doing - a "(u)" instead of a "(%lu")" printf was throwing SIGSEGV (sigh) and I fixed both at the same time (ie new key) - this is a non-trivial system to run a code build on && one wants to do as much as one can between runs.

The only suggestion I can make is have the system come up with a unique key using ftok() every time, and remove old message queues. A good start on a key would be the parent process PID.

(please forgive the chopped links - apparently I am not yet blessed to give raw links yet :^)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

about msgget troble

hi,all i have in trouble about msgget. i create a queue and the program like blow: openMsg( pid_t key ) { .... int msgid; .... msgid=msgget(key,IPC_CREAT|IPC_EXCL|0666) if( msgid<=0 ){ fprintf( stdout,"%s,%d",strerror(errno),errno ); return -1; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrain
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & sed -i work fine. Now need -i workaround for old OS.

I have a script that does a search and replace on a tree using find, xargs and sed that looks something like this. find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/fromthis/tothis/g' Now this works fine on new versions on Linux but I need to make the script work on an old RAQ550 that has an older... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonb
3 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with msgget()

Hi, I am having problem with msgget() function. Here is the problem that I am having on Unix : I have two processes sender and receiver. Sender generates queue (msgget()) with some key e.g. 938, for output. Receiver reads from the same queue. i.e. receiver also tries to get queue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashwini
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Workaround for macros in sftp command

Hi, I've some existing scripts wherein am using ftp + .netrc. I've defined my macros in .netrc file. I want to switch to sftp now but it seems it doesn't support macros and .netrc and it gives "command invalid" error. Is there any other alternative? Note: I don't want help for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps51517
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Samba trouble shoot / workaround ?

Hello, I've setup a ubuntu 10.04 server running samba 3.4.7 as domain controler / file server at a customer site, that works great most of the time but I face a random problem. Of course I'm never on the site when the problem occurs, so I cannot investigate in real time. What happens is that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu.b
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation returns no value

#/bin/sh ..... #convert memory to MB let "mmsize_a= ($mmsize)/256" let "mminuse_a= ($mminuse)/256" let "mmfree_a= ($mmsize_a -$mminuse_a)" let "mmfreepercent= (($mmfree_a)/($mmsize_a))*100" # #format output echo "\n\n######################" >>$sndFile echo "\n$sysName Total Memory usage"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

7. Programming

msgget message queue always get permission denied

I want to use msgget() to obtain a message queue between two processes, here is my code: the first one create the mq, the second one open it and add a message to it. But when I execute the second one, I get permission denied. I've already desperately tried everything I can think of to solve this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefino
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stuck in CLOSE_WAIT Solaris 10 - Patch and workaround

Solaris 10 Sparc: When you got a connection locking a tcp/port, and the status is CLOSE_WAIT (for ever :wall:), you just use the tcpdrop, to close the connection. This is a OS bug. I wrote the bug id bellow: BUG-ID 6468753 connections stuck in CLOSE_WAIT The patch that's correct the bug:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiagofborn
0 Replies

9. AIX

AIO workaround AIX 5.3 to AIX 7.1

Hello Folks, Facing a problem starting Apache Services on AIX 7.1 This is the error i'm getting /oraapp/prodora/iAS/Apache/Apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd started Syntax error on line 17 of /oraapp/prodora/iAS/Apache/modplsql/cfg/plsql_pls.conf: Cannot load... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies
MSGGET(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 MSGGET(2)

NAME
msgget - get a message queue identifier SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/msg.h> int msgget(key_t key, int msgflg); DESCRIPTION
The msgget() system call returns the message queue identifier associated with the value of the key argument. A new message queue is cre- ated if key has the value IPC_PRIVATE or key isn't IPC_PRIVATE, no message queue with the given key key exists, and IPC_CREAT is specified in msgflg. If msgflg specifies both IPC_CREAT and IPC_EXCL and a message queue already exists for key, then msgget() fails with errno set to EEXIST. (This is analogous to the effect of the combination O_CREAT | O_EXCL for open(2).) Upon creation, the least significant bits of the argument msgflg define the permissions of the message queue. These permission bits have the same format and semantics as the permissions specified for the mode argument of open(2). (The execute permissions are not used.) If a new message queue is created, then its associated data structure msqid_ds (see msgctl(2)) is initialized as follows: msg_perm.cuid and msg_perm.uid are set to the effective user ID of the calling process. msg_perm.cgid and msg_perm.gid are set to the effective group ID of the calling process. The least significant 9 bits of msg_perm.mode are set to the least significant 9 bits of msgflg. msg_qnum, msg_lspid, msg_lrpid, msg_stime and msg_rtime are set to 0. msg_ctime is set to the current time. msg_qbytes is set to the system limit MSGMNB. If the message queue already exists the permissions are verified, and a check is made to see if it is marked for destruction. RETURN VALUE
If successful, the return value will be the message queue identifier (a nonnegative integer), otherwise -1 with errno indicating the error. ERRORS
On failure, errno is set to one of the following values: EACCES A message queue exists for key, but the calling process does not have permission to access the queue, and does not have the CAP_IPC_OWNER capability. EEXIST A message queue exists for key and msgflg specified both IPC_CREAT and IPC_EXCL. ENOENT No message queue exists for key and msgflg did not specify IPC_CREAT. ENOMEM A message queue has to be created but the system does not have enough memory for the new data structure. ENOSPC A message queue has to be created but the system limit for the maximum number of message queues (MSGMNI) would be exceeded. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
IPC_PRIVATE isn't a flag field but a key_t type. If this special value is used for key, the system call ignores everything but the least significant 9 bits of msgflg and creates a new message queue (on success). The following is a system limit on message queue resources affecting a msgget() call: MSGMNI System wide maximum number of message queues: policy dependent (on Linux, this limit can be read and modified via /proc/sys/ker- nel/msgmni). Linux Notes Until version 2.3.20 Linux would return EIDRM for a msgget() on a message queue scheduled for deletion. BUGS
The name choice IPC_PRIVATE was perhaps unfortunate, IPC_NEW would more clearly show its function. SEE ALSO
msgctl(2), msgrcv(2), msgsnd(2), ftok(3), capabilities(7), mq_overview(7), svipc(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2004-05-27 MSGGET(2)