Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines Post 302906474 by wisecracker on Friday 20th of June 2014 02:40:26 AM
Old 06-20-2014
Please use code tags.

You don't have spaces between the test "[" bracket and "e" and also the closing bracket "]".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting processed lines

I have a log file that I am processing. This contains messages from and to a server (requests and responses). The responses to requests may not be in order i.e. we can have a response to a request after several requests are sent, and in some error cases there may not be any response message. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude lines in a loop

I use while do - done loop in my shell script. It is working as per my expectations. But I do not want to process all the lines. I am finding it difficult to exclude certain lines. 1) I do not want to process blank lines as well as lines those start with a space " " 2) I do not want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that starts with a certain letter

How can I delete those lines that starts with a certain letter? abc def ghi xyz abc def ace gik moq abe imq gxm I want to delete the line that starts with "x". Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display lines not starts with #

hiiiii $ grep ^"#" $file Will give the lines , which starts with # .And I wanna get the lines which are not starting with #. How to implement that. Thanking you Krish:b: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete lines from a file which starts with a specific pattern

I need to delete those lines from a file, which starts with 45. How to do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy lines that starts with either 3 or 4 into new file?

Hi Guys, I have an awk script that would search the input file for line that starts with a number 3 and copies into a new text file. I want to extend this script to find the lines that either starts with 3 or a or b and copy all those lines into the new file. Here is what I have so far:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amith821
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem ---to remove the lines which starts with one type of character

Hi, I have one file, I need to check if file exist or not and then remove the lines which starts with ? My file1.out data is some thing abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr ????????? ????????? Output should be in test.out abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr I am getting the output as below but the File does not exist... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramyajiguru1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed and counting number of lines processed

/bin/sed -n ';4757335,$ p' | wc -l /bin/sed -n ';4757335,$ p' | egrep "Failed" | egrep -c "PM late arrrival" how can i combine the above two sed commands into one? i want to count the number of lines between the specified line number and the end of the file. AND and i want to count how many... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines from processing

I have a file like below #Fields section bald 1234 2345 456 222 abcs dddd dddd ssss mmmm mmm mmm i need do not process a files stating with # I was written code below while read -r line do if then echo ${line} >> elif then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude lines in a file with matches with multiple Strings using egrep

Hi I have a txt file and I would like to use egrep without using -v option to exclude the lines which matches with multiple Strings. Let's say I have some text in the txt file. The command should not fetch lines if they have strings something like CAT MAT DAT The command should fetch me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathwik
4 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)