Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping the file into a variable after SSH into a server Post 302906383 by srkmish on Thursday 19th of June 2014 07:55:47 AM
Old 06-19-2014
Thanks a lot . That worked perfectly.

I have another doubt. How to append 2 variables into a new variables adding new line.

i.e.
Code:
var1="x";
var2="y";

I want to display my o/p as
Code:
x
y

When i do this
Code:
var3=$var1$'\n'$var2;

I get o/p as :
Code:
x y

Last edited by Franklin52; 06-19-2014 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh text into file on remote server

Hello, I have about 90 servers that I need to update snmp configs. I am trying to write a script that will echo 4 new lines of text into the snmpd.conf file. I have tested it locally and it works when the server ssh into itself but when I try to run the script to ssh into a remote server it logs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_dthomas
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping a variable

I need to pass a parameter that will then be grepped. I need it to grep /paramater and then have a space so if 123 was passed my grep would be grep '/123 ' sample.log this works fine from the command line but when i try and set it searchThis="/$2 " and then run grep $searchThis... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping Date Variable

Hello, I would like for the user to input the date for a particular log file, then have the input sent to a variable, which is then used via grep to extra the logs for the specific date the user request. I did some searching, but I still don't understand why I'm not seeing any result. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to ssh from variable in flat file

flat file looks like ooss-pfgg-1234,vol_name_1, mail-list decoded = hostname,volum_name,mail_list each line has diff info am trying to ssh into each fist field, check vol usage for second field, and if greater than 90% send mail to mail-list got the second and third part working, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riegersteve
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file and returning passed variable if the value does not exist in file at all.

I have a list of fields that I want to check a file for, returning that field if it not found at all in the file. Is there a way to do a grep -lc and return the passed variable too rather then just the count? I am doing some crappy work-around now but I was not sure how to regrep this for :0 so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: personalt
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for variable in brackets

I have a script which reads a number out of a log file. The pertinent line is this: cat /tmp/listofnumbers When I run cat /tmp/listofnumbers what I am seeing is on each line. I am trying to make the script read from that file and grep for a variable like the following line should do: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving file size in a remote server using SSH

Hi, I have public and private keys and that's works fine for me. now I am sending files one by one on remote server and I want to check is file successfully delivered or not by comparing size of file on local machine and remote server using ‘stat -c%s'. Below operations need to be done on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line from remote file over ssh passing variable

I have a variable called $a1 which maps to something like "http://servername proxy1 count http" and a lots of entries in a file on remote server. If I have the following in my .sh script: sed -i "\%$a1%d" mylog.txtthe line is deleted from mylog.txt. Great. I'm trying now to remvoe this from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
UPSRW(8)						      Network UPS Tools (NUT)							  UPSRW(8)

NAME
upsrw - UPS variable administration tool SYNOPSIS
upsrw ups upsrw -h upsrw -s variable [-u username] [-p password] ups DESCRIPTION
upsrw allows you to view and change the read/write variables inside your UPS. It sends commands via the server upsd(8) to your driver, which configures the hardware for you. The list of variables that allow you to change their values is based on the capabilities of your UPS equipment. Not all models support this feature. Typically, cheaper hardware does not support any of them. Run upsrw with a UPS identifier to see what will work for you. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -s variable Specify the variable to be changed inside the UPS. For unattended mode such as in shell scripts, use the format VAR=VALUE to spec- ify both the variable and the value, for example: -s HIGHXFER=129 Without this argument, upsrw will just display the list of the variables and their possible values. Some variables are strings, and can be set to any value within the length limit. Others are enumerated types and can only be set to one of those values. Refer to the list to know what's available in your hardware. -u username Set the username for the connection to the server. This is optional, and you will be prompted for this when using the -s option if you don't specify -u on the command line. -p password Set the password to authenticate to the server. This is also optional like -u, and you will be prompted for it if necessary. ups View or change the settings on this UPS. The format for this option is [upsname@]hostname[:port]. UNATTENDED MODE
If you run this program inside a shell script or similar to set variables, you will need to specify all of the information on the command line. This means using -s VAR=VALUE, -u and -p. Otherwise it will put up a prompt and your program will hang. This is not necessary when displaying the list, as the username and password are not required for read-only mode. DIAGNOSTICS
upsrw can't set variables on your UPS unless you provide a valid username and password. If you get "access denied" errors, make sure that your upsd.users(5) has an entry for you, and that the username you are using has permissions to SET variables. HISTORY
This program used to be called upsct2, which was ambiguous and confusing. SEE ALSO
upsd(8), upscmd(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.exploits.org/nut/ NUT mailing list archives and information: http://lists.exploits.org/ Sat Aug 31 2002 UPSRW(8)