Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count Pattern
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count Pattern Post 302905985 by Akshay Hegde on Monday 16th of June 2014 11:55:56 AM
Old 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by techedipro
What is & used for ?

Code:

awk '{s += gsub(/SIN\*[YN]/,"&")}END{print s}' fileawk '{s += gsub(/SIN\*[YN]/,"&")}END{print s}' file

Code:
 gsub(r, s [, t])        For each substring matching the regular expres-
                               sion r in the string t, substitute  the  string
                               s,  and return the number of substitutions.  If
                               t is  not  supplied,  use  $0.   An  &  in  the
                           replacement text is replaced with the text that
                           was actually matched.  Use \& to get a  literal
                               &.   (This  must  be  typed as "\\&"; see GAWK:
                               Effective AWK Programming for a fuller  discus-
                               sion  of  the  rules for &'s and backslashes in
                               the replacement text of sub(), gsub(), and gen-
                               sub().)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk-how count the number of occurances of a pattern, when don't know the pattern

I've written a script to count the total size of SAN storage LUNs, and also display the LUN sizes. From server to server, the LUNs sizes differ. What I want to do is count the occurances as they occur and change. These are the LUN sizes: 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyber111
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern search and count

i want to search a word in a file and find the count of occurences even if pattern occures twice in a same line. for example file has the following content. yes no no nooo yees no yes if I search for "no" it should give count as 4 Pls help. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of a pattern between each occurrence of a different pattern

I need to count the number of occurrences of a pattern, say 'key', between each occurrence of a different pattern, say 'lu'. Here's a portion of the text I'm trying to parse: lu S1234L_149_m1_vg.6, part-att 1, vdp-att 1 p-reserver IID 0xdb registrations: key 4156 4353 0000 0000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slipstream
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename pattern count

Hi I have the following files in a directory - ds_pl_W_Test ds_pl_list_Test ds_pl_list_Test ds_pl_listl_Test ds_pl_file_Test ds_pl_xx_Test I would like to count the number files in the directory that contain the word "list" I tried the following but it returns zero - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prega
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count lines in a pattern

Hi, I had posted few days back and got replies on how to extract patterns from a file. I had another question. I want to count the number of lines a particular pattern. I thought of somethings like using NF variable, etc, but they didnt work. Here is sample input. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepk1611
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search and count

Hi all, I need to search the database log find out the most frequently used tables for a certain period of time. The search pattern is : the database.table so, i need to look for ABCD.* in the entire log and then need the top ten tables. I thought of using awk, search for the pattern ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count pattern occurences

hi, I have a text..and i need to find a pattern in the text and count to the no of times the pattern occured. i have used grep command ..but the problem is , it shows the occurrences of the pattern but doesn't count no of times the pattern occuries. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvnni
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify file pattern, take count of pattern, then act

Guys - Need your ideas on a section of code to finish something up. To make a long story short, I'm parsing a print output file that goes to pre-printed forms. I'm intercepting it, parsing it, formatting it, cutting it up into individual pages, grabbing the text I want in zones, building an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count Pattern using awk

I need to get a count of all the records that start with 4 and then print the value. I have the below statement but it is missing something, can someone help me to fix this awk 'BEGIN{~/^4/{C++}};END {print"<Total>"} {print"<Reg>"}{print "<value>"C"</value></Reg>"}' {print"</Total>"} temp >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
2 Replies
IPTABLES-XML(8) 														   IPTABLES-XML(8)

NAME
iptables-xml -- Convert iptables-save format to XML SYNOPSIS
iptables-xml [-c] [-v] DESCRIPTION
iptables-xml is used to convert the output of iptables-save into an easily manipulatable XML format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirection pro- vided by your shell to write to a file. -c, --combine combine consecutive rules with the same matches but different targets. iptables does not currently support more than one target per match, so this simulates that by collecting the targets from consecutive iptables rules into one action tag, but only when the rule matches are identical. Terminating actions like RETURN, DROP, ACCEPT and QUEUE are not combined with subsequent targets. -v, --verbose Output xml comments containing the iptables line from which the XML is derived iptables-xml does a mechanistic conversion to a very expressive xml format; the only semantic considerations are for -g and -j targets in order to discriminate between <call> <goto> and <nane-of-target> as it helps xml processing scripts if they can tell the difference between a target like SNAT and another chain. Some sample output is: <iptables-rules> <table name="mangle"> <chain name="PREROUTING" policy="ACCEPT" packet-count="63436" byte-count="7137573"> <rule> <conditions> <match> <p>tcp</p> </match> <tcp> <sport>8443</sport> </tcp> </conditions> <actions> <call> <check_ip/> </call> <ACCEPT/> </actions> </rule> </chain> </table> </iptables-rules> Conversion from XML to iptables-save format may be done using the iptables.xslt script and xsltproc, or a custom program using libxsltproc or similar; in this fashion: xsltproc iptables.xslt my-iptables.xml | iptables-restore BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.3.7 release AUTHOR
Sam Liddicott <azez@ufomechanic.net> SEE ALSO
iptables-save(8), iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) Jul 16, 2007 IPTABLES-XML(8)