Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing multiple files to awk for processing in bash script Post 302905690 by shree11 on Friday 13th of June 2014 04:55:37 AM
Old 06-13-2014
@CarloM,

I tried with the code:
Code:
awk '{ 
stuff
}' file1.txt $(hadoop fs -ls /user/user/data/file2.txt)

where file1 -> reading from the local
fiel2 -> reading the file from HDFS(hadoop)

But it's saying:
Quote:
awk: cmd. line:12: (FILENAME=file1.txt FNR=5) fatal: cannot open file `Found' for reading (No such file or directory)
Not getting why it is giving error for file1 although file1.txt is exists in the local directory.When i tried removing the part $(hadoop fs -ls /user/user/data/file2.txt) and copy the file2.txt to local and give the local path like }' file1.txt file2.txt its working fine.

So it's not allowing to take the file directly from hdfs to process using awk command . How how can i do it? is there any alternative for this?
NOTE: i don't want to copy the hadoop files to local directory to acheive this

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write bash script to explode multiple zip files

I have a directory full of zip files. How would I write a bash script to enumerate all the zip files, remove the ".zip" from the file name, create a directory by that name and unzip each zip file into its corresponding directory? Thanks! Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single output of awk script processing multiple files

Helllo UNIX Forum :) Since I am posting on this board, yes, I am new to UNIX! I read a copy of "UNIX made easy" from 1990, which felt like a making a "computer-science time jump" backwards ;) So, basically I have some sort of understanding what the basic concept is. Problem Description:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kasimir
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script processing data from 2 files

Hi! I have 2 files containing data that I need to process at the same time, I have problems in reading a different number of lines from the different files. Here is an explanation of what I need to do (possibly with an awk script). File "samples.txt" contains data in the format: time_instant... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alice236
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to compile multiple .c files with some options

I'm trying to write a bash script and call it "compile" such that running it allows me to compile multiple files with the options "-help," "-backup," and "-clean". I've got the code for the options written, i just can't figure out how to read the input string and then translate that into option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: travis.batzer
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to copy timestamps of multiple files

Hi, I have a bunch of media files in a directory that have been converted (from MTS to MOV format), so my directory contains something like this: clip1.mts clip1.mov clip2.mts clip2.mov The problem is that the .mov files that have been created have the timestamps of the conversion task,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krakus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple files to awk

Hi all, I have a load of files in the format e.g. a_1.out a_300.out a_20.out etc I would like to numeric sort them in ascending order by the number in the file name, then pass them into awk for manipulation. How do I do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimjam
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing multiple files awk

hai i need my single awk script to act on 4 trace files of ns2 and to calculate througput and it should print result from each trace file in a single trace file. i tried with the following code but it doesnt work awk -f awkscript inputfile1 inputfile2 inputfile3 inputfile4>outputfile ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathyy
4 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plink (processing multiple commands) using Bash

I'm completely brand new to bash scripting (migrating from Windows batch file scripting). I'm currently trying to write a bash script that will automatically reset "error-disabled" Cisco switch ports. Please forgive the very crude and inefficient script I have so far (shown below). It is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKANET
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through multiple files in bash script

Hi Everybody, I'm a newbie to shell scripting, and I'd appreciate some help. I have a bunch of .txt files that have some unwanted content. I want to remove lines 1-3 and 1028-1098. #!/bin/bash for '*.txt' in <path to folder> do sed '1,3 d' "$f"; sed '1028,1098 d' "$f"; done I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BabyNuke
2 Replies
MV(1)							      General Commands Manual							     MV(1)

NAME
mv - move or rename files SYNOPSIS
mv [ -i ] [ -f ] [ - ] file1 file2 mv [ -i ] [ -f ] [ - ] file ... directory DESCRIPTION
Mv moves (changes the name of) file1 to file2. If file2 already exists, it is removed before file1 is moved. If file2 has a mode which forbids writing, mv prints the mode (see chmod(2)) and reads the standard input to obtain a line; if the line begins with y, the move takes place; if not, mv exits. In the second form, one or more files (plain files or directories) are moved to the directory with their original file-names. Mv refuses to move a file onto itself. Options: -i stands for interactive mode. Whenever a move is to supercede an existing file, the user is prompted by the name of the file followed by a question mark. If he answers with a line starting with 'y', the move continues. Any other reply prevents the move from occur- ring. -f stands for force. This option overrides any mode restrictions or the -i switch. - means interpret all the following arguments to mv as file names. This allows file names starting with minus. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ln(1) BUGS
If file1 and file2 lie on different file systems, mv must copy the file and delete the original. In this case the owner name becomes that of the copying process and any linking relationship with other files is lost. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 MV(1)