Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing multiple files to awk for processing in bash script Post 302905572 by shree11 on Thursday 12th of June 2014 07:33:11 AM
Old 06-12-2014
Okay, <dirname>/* can be used to process multiple files.

Suppose if i want to process files present in a hadoop HDFS , can i direcctly process using awk script like below as u suggested ?
Code:
awk { 
stuff
}'  "hadoop fs -ls /user/user/data/file*"  

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write bash script to explode multiple zip files

I have a directory full of zip files. How would I write a bash script to enumerate all the zip files, remove the ".zip" from the file name, create a directory by that name and unzip each zip file into its corresponding directory? Thanks! Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single output of awk script processing multiple files

Helllo UNIX Forum :) Since I am posting on this board, yes, I am new to UNIX! I read a copy of "UNIX made easy" from 1990, which felt like a making a "computer-science time jump" backwards ;) So, basically I have some sort of understanding what the basic concept is. Problem Description:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kasimir
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script processing data from 2 files

Hi! I have 2 files containing data that I need to process at the same time, I have problems in reading a different number of lines from the different files. Here is an explanation of what I need to do (possibly with an awk script). File "samples.txt" contains data in the format: time_instant... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alice236
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to compile multiple .c files with some options

I'm trying to write a bash script and call it "compile" such that running it allows me to compile multiple files with the options "-help," "-backup," and "-clean". I've got the code for the options written, i just can't figure out how to read the input string and then translate that into option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: travis.batzer
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to copy timestamps of multiple files

Hi, I have a bunch of media files in a directory that have been converted (from MTS to MOV format), so my directory contains something like this: clip1.mts clip1.mov clip2.mts clip2.mov The problem is that the .mov files that have been created have the timestamps of the conversion task,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krakus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple files to awk

Hi all, I have a load of files in the format e.g. a_1.out a_300.out a_20.out etc I would like to numeric sort them in ascending order by the number in the file name, then pass them into awk for manipulation. How do I do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimjam
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing multiple files awk

hai i need my single awk script to act on 4 trace files of ns2 and to calculate througput and it should print result from each trace file in a single trace file. i tried with the following code but it doesnt work awk -f awkscript inputfile1 inputfile2 inputfile3 inputfile4>outputfile ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathyy
4 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plink (processing multiple commands) using Bash

I'm completely brand new to bash scripting (migrating from Windows batch file scripting). I'm currently trying to write a bash script that will automatically reset "error-disabled" Cisco switch ports. Please forgive the very crude and inefficient script I have so far (shown below). It is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKANET
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through multiple files in bash script

Hi Everybody, I'm a newbie to shell scripting, and I'd appreciate some help. I have a bunch of .txt files that have some unwanted content. I want to remove lines 1-3 and 1028-1098. #!/bin/bash for '*.txt' in <path to folder> do sed '1,3 d' "$f"; sed '1028,1098 d' "$f"; done I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BabyNuke
2 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds (with a '.' character as a decimal point). This is a non- portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD