Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple .gz decompress files and dump other directory Post 302905523 by Chenchireddy on Thursday 12th of June 2014 04:08:40 AM
Old 06-12-2014
When i am running the script it's working as expected. but when i am given absolute path of .gz files getting the error "./exa2: line 2: /home/vizion/Desktop/gzipfile//home/vizion/Desktop/*: No such file or directory"

code as below
Code:
#!/bin/sh
for i in '/home/vizion/Desktop/*.gz' ; do gzip -dc $i > /home/vizion/Desktop/gzipfile/${i%.gz} ; done

Suggest to me how avoid above error

Last edited by vbe; 06-12-2014 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: code tags...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress directory using Gzip

Hey there... Just has a query. I have been trying to zip and unzip a directory. I used gzip -c -r <directory> to recursively search the directory and zip it Now is want to unzip the directory, by gunzip -r <filename>.gz The problem is that the unzip creates on file with the contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinxor
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp multiple files from same directory

Hi there Gurus, I have the following ftp script: $ more ftp_dump_arch4.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh # Constant variables HOST='xx.xx.xx.xx' USER='user' PASSWD='password' dir='/export/file' ftp_log='/tmp' ftp -n $HOST > $ftp_log/ftp.log << END user $USER $PASSWD verbose lcd $dir bin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pull out multiple files from DB table and redirect all those files to a differetn directory?

Hi everyone!! I have a database table, which has file_name as one of its fields. Example: File_ID File_Name Directory Size 0001 UNO_1232 /apps/opt 234 0002 UNO_1234 /apps/opt 788 0003 UNO_1235 /apps/opt 897 0004 UNO_1236 /apps/opt 568 I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in copying multiple files from th directory

Hey Guys, I have directory with thousands of files, I need to copy only march data. can any one please Help.......... Thanks, Uttam N (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttamnsd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large zone file dump into multiple files

I have a large zone file dump that consists of ; DNS record for the adomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 CRLF CRLF CRLF ; DNS record for the anotherdomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 CRLF (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bluemerlin
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple files with the same name in the same directory

Hi, Is it possible to have multiple files with the same name in a same unix directory? Eg., in the path \tmp, can we have 2 files with the same name as SALES_data_20120124.TXT? I heard it is possible if the user id that is created the files are different and with some ids, a new gets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in a directory

Hello, I would like to rename all available files in a directory from Filename to Filename_Normal. I tried to use below script but it is giving some error: #!/bin/sh for i in `ls` do echo Changing $i mv $i $i_Normal done Error received: Usage: mv src target or: mv ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk on multiple files in a directory

so i have a file system: /data/projects in this file system, there's about 300 files. on all files in this directory, i'm running: egrep -r 'Customer.*Processed' /data/projects/* is there an efficient (fast) awk way of searching through each file in the directory and providing an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with : gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
2 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X June 1, 2019 Mac OS X