Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shell script to convert words to Title case Post 302904939 by Akshay Hegde on Sunday 8th of June 2014 04:49:33 AM
Old 06-08-2014
Try:
Code:
$ awk '{for(j=1;j<=NF;j++){ $j=toupper(substr($j,1,1)) substr($j,2) }}1' file

Code:
sed -e "s/\b\(.\)/\u\1/g" file

---------- Post updated at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:16 PM ----------

Kindly use codetags!
This User Gave Thanks to Akshay Hegde For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script to convert to Title case

I need a shell script which will convert the given string to Title case. E.g "hi man" to "Hi man" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SankarV
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to convert words into links

hi, i need some help. i have to write a unix shell script that opens a file with a list of words and prints another file with a list of links. something like this: Input: FILE 1: Red Green Blue Output: FILE2: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Red... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazordoon
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell/Perl script to convert to Capitalize case

I need a shell script which will convert the given string within a <title> tag to Capitalize case. E.g "<title>hi man: check this out</title>" to "<title>Hi Man: Check This Out</title>" (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: parshant_bvcoe
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert upper case to lower case in ascript

I have a package to install and the installation script which does it . The files/directories names in the script are all lower case but the actual package has everything in upper case - file names, directories . I don't want to rename directories and files in the package - it has a lot of them . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vz6zz8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Title Case after apostrophe

I've got: $string =~ s/(\w+)/\u\L$1/g; Which capitalizes each word in the string. The problem is if I have a string with an apostrophe the first letter after it gets capitalized as well. So Bob's becomes Bob'S. Thanks for any quick fixes! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text between exact matching patterns to Title case

Hi Folks, I have a large text file with multiple similar patterns on each line like: blank">PATTERN1 some word PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1 some word PATTERN2 blank">PATTERN1 another word PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1 another word PATTERN2 blank">PATTERN1 one more time PATTERN2 title=">PATTERN1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
10 Replies
spell(1)						      General Commands Manual							  spell(1)

Name
       spell, spellin, spellout - check text for spelling errors

Syntax
       spell [-v] [-b] [-x] [-d hlist] [+local-file] [-s hstop] [-h spellhist] [file...]

spellin [list]

spellout [-d] list

Description
       The command collects words from the named documents, and looks them up in a spelling list.  Words that are not on the spelling list and are
       not derivable from words on the list (by applying certain inflections, prefixes or suffixes) are printed on the	standard  output.   If	no
       files are specified, words are collected from the standard input.

The command ignores most and constructions.

Two  routines help maintain the hash lists used by Both expect a set of words, one per line, from the standard input.  The command combines
       the words from the standard input and the preexisting list file and places a new list on the standard output.  If no list  file	is  speci-
       fied,  a  new  list  is generated.  The command looks up each word from the standard input and prints on the standard output those that are
       missing from (or present on, with option -d) the hashed list file.  For example, to verify that hookey is not on the default spelling list,
       add it to your own private list, and then use it with
       echo  hookey  |	spellout  /usr/dict/hlista
       echo  hookey  |	spellin  /usr/dict/hlista  >  myhlist
       spell  -d  myhlist <filename>

Options
       -v	      Displays words not found in spelling list with all plausible derivations from spelling list.

-b	      Checks  data  according  to British spelling.  Besides preferring centre, colour, speciality, travelled, this option insists
		      upon -ise instead of -ize in words like standardise.

-x	      Precedes each word with an equal sign (=) and displays all plausible derivations.

-d hlist       Specifies the file used for the spelling list.

-h spellhist   Specifies the file used as the history file.

-s hstop       Specifies the file used for the stop list.

+local-file    Removes words found in local-file from the output of the command.  The argument local-file is the name of a file provided by
		      the  user  that contains a sorted list of words, one per line.  With this option, the user can specify a list of words for a
		      particular job that are spelled correctly.

The auxiliary files used for the spelling list, stop list, and history file may be specified by arguments following  the  -d,  -s,  and	-h
       options.   The  default files are indicated below.  Copies of all output may be accumulated in the history file.  The stop list filters out
       misspellings (for example, thier=thy-y+ier) that would otherwise pass.

Restrictions
       The coverage of the spelling list is uneven; new installations will probably wish to monitor the output for several months to gather  local
       additions.

The command works only with ASCII text files.

Files
       /usr/dict/hlist[ab] hashed spelling lists, American &			 British, default for -d
       /usr/dict/hstop	   hashed stop list, default for -s
       /dev/null	   history file, default for -h
       /tmp/spell.$$*	   temporary files
       /usr/lib/spell

See Also
       deroff(1), sed(1), sort(1), tee(1)

spell(1)