Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Can anybody learn how to code? Post 302904879 by bakunin on Saturday 7th of June 2014 10:03:31 AM
Old 06-07-2014
Finally: be aware that "programming" isn't "programming".

There is the highly scientific number crunching: you need a solid mathematical background to even understand the algorithms involved and many times in-depth technical knowledge of the environment you program for. Applications typically needing such skills include: signal processing, simulations, graphics, realtime applications, optimization (operations research), statistics and all sorts of scientific applications.

There is the frontend-oriented business programming: you need a lot of organisatorial skills, you need to have communication skills (most customers have no idea what they want and it is your first job to clarify that with them). You will not need more math than the basic arithmetical operations, but you will have to fit into an organization, whereas the people writing the high-tech stuff can get away with being autistic (or acting that way). Knowledge about database programming is a must in this area, so picking up SQL is a good idea.

There is the hardware-oriented programming: drivers, embedded systems, all sorts of odd one-time-programmables, microcontrollers and the like. You will need a solid knowledge of Assembler (standard language in many of these cases), a well-filled algorithmic toolbox (you shouldn't need any time to think about how to compute a parity bit, for instance), but you mostly do not need that good math background you will need for scientific programming.

Finally, there is what i call "ad hoc programming": scripting, writing helpers which make daily life easier, etc.. This is mostly done in two areas: Web Development (PHP, perl, ruby, Phyton, ...) and systems administration. You will not need all too much programming skills at all, but it will in turn only be part of your work: in systems administration, for instance, you write scripts besides doing your main work, which is - administrating systems!

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to learn!

Hiya, yes im new to all of this! But want to learn how to use Unix etc, iv been thinking about doin a course but desided im better off learning by my self with help from the people who really no what there doin...you guys! I can install Linux, like redhat, mandrake, susie server edition and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: epic.admin
5 Replies

3. Programming

Learn C or C++

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I would like to know which language is better to learn in terms of programming in unix? is C dying out and being replaced by C++ or is it a combination of the 2 or just mainly C? Thanks C19 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn UNIX?

Hey everybody, I am a 25 year old web programmer in Malaysia. I am not hapy with my line of work and I want to do something more. I know asp.net,asp,php and jsp.But they dont really land me in a good promising job wich I realy love. I am more interested in Oracle DBMS. now to be a DBA in Oracle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shounak
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want to Learn HP-UX!

What's the best free system to learn HP-UX on? The closest system, hardware requirements and installation instructions. I'm a newbie but determined. Any tips would be great. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: networkguy
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Want to learn RedHat

I Want to learn Red hat Linux at free of cost, can any one help me, I am zero in unix. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mustaq
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to learn UNIX

Hi, I am the ultimate noob when it comes to UNIX. Apart from a few basic thing like ls -l and mkdir (and that really is about as good as it gets) I know absolutely nothing about UNIX and I want to learn it and get better! I'm sure like with most things, just getting stuck in and trying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebdj
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to learn

Hi I know only basics of UNIX and i want to know that how can i become a good troubleshooter in unix adminstartion or shell scripting.... i am just a newbie to Unix ..i do not have programming skills as well. Your suggestions are welecomed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nattynitin
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

You too can learn how to code in a day! ;oO

I am not passing a comment, just waiting to read yours... ;oD Decoded: learn to write computer code in a day - Telegraph Decoded | Technology made human | On Demand, Enterprise, Masterclass (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
gvrng(1)																  gvrng(1)

NAME
gvrng - An interactive, introductory programming language. SYNTAX
gvrng [world file | program file] DESCRIPTION
Guido van Robot is a project developed by advanced high school students for use by their peers as a learning tool and precursor to the fur- ther study of programming with Python. It is a minimalistic programming language providing just enough syntax to help students learn the concepts of sequencing, conditional branching, looping and procedural abstraction. It's biggest strength is that it permits this learning in an environment that combines the thrill of problem-solving with instant visual feedback. In short, it is an interactive, introductory programming language that is excellent for learning the basic concepts of programming, applicable in any high-level language. Best of all, it's a whole lot of fun, too! At this point, you are probably asking yourself, "What is GvRng, specifically?" The gist of it is that it is a robot represented by a tri- angle on the screen that moves around in a world made up of streets and avenues, walls and "beepers", which Guido can collect or set. His actions are completely guided by a program written by the user. FILES
/usr/bin/gvrng /usr/lib/gvrng /usr/share/doc/gvrng AUTHORS
Stas Zytkiewicz - stasz@linux.isbeter.nl Waseem Daher - wdaher@mit.edu Steve Howell - showell@zipcon.net SEE ALSO
http://gvrng.sourceforge.net Stas Zytkiewicz 1.0 09/13/2004 gvrng(1)