Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read a tab separated file with empty column Post 302904753 by maturix on Friday 6th of June 2014 08:39:39 AM
Old 06-06-2014
Read a tab separated file with empty column

Hi all,

I'm trying to read a tab separated file and apply some functions on each column. I have an issue with empty column.

Exemple:
Code:
$ #cat with the sed to allow you to see my tab
$ cat foo.txt| sed 's/\t/;/g' 
a;1;x
b;;y

I wanted to something like that:
Code:
while read col1 col2 col3
do
 function1($col1)
 function2($col2)
 function3($col3)
done < foo.txt

This don't work as the second line has a empty column and so the "e" will be in $col2 instead of $col3.

The only solution I find is to do
Code:
sed -i 's/\t/;/g' foo.txt
IFS=';'
while read col1 col2 col3
do
 function1($col1)
 function2($col2)
 function3($col3)
done < foo.txt
sed -i 's/;/\t/g' foo.txt
IFS=' \t\n'

Is there any other cleaner and faster solution ?

Thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding EMPTY columns to Tab-delimited txt file

Hi I have a txt file with 4 columns where I need to add 4 empty columns in the middle meaning that I need what is currently column 4 to be column 8 in a new file. The idea is that I have to use the file as input in a program that reads the data in column 1 and 8, so the content of the other... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banni
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse file into tab separated columns

Hello, I am trying to parse a file that resembles the last three groupings into something looking like the first two lines. I've fiddled with sed and awk a bit, but can't get anything to work properly. I need them separated by some delimiter. The file is some 23,000 lines of the stuff.... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkozel
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sum up a decimal column in a tab separated text file and error handling

Hi, I have a small requirement where i need to sum up a column in a text file. Input file 66ab 000000 534385 -00000106350.00 66cd 000000 534485 -00013364511.00 66ad 000000 534485 -00000426548.00 672a 000000 534485 000000650339.82... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a tab separated file using bash

Dear all, I have a file in this format (like a matrix) - A B C .. X A 1 4 2 .. 2 B 2 6 4 .. 8 C 3 5 5 .. 4 . . . ... . X . . ... . and want to convert it into a file with this format: A A = 1 A B = 4 A C = 2 ... A X = 2 B A = 2 B B = 6 etc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab-separated file to matrix conversion

hello all, i have an input file like that A A X0 A B X1 A C X2 ... A Z Xx B A X1 B B X3 .... Z A Xx Z B X4 and i want to have an output like that A B C D A X0 X1 X2 Xy B X1 X3 X4 (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filling a tab-separated file with known missing entries in columns

Hello all, I have a file which is tab separated like that: PHE_205_A TIP_127_W ARG_150_B MET_1150_A TIP_12_W VAL_11_B GLU_60_A TIP_130_W ARG_143_B LEU_1033_A TIP_203_W ARG_14_B SER_1092_A TIP_203_W THR_1090_A TIP_203_W SER_1092_A TIP_25_W ... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a tab separated file

Hi, I have created a tab separated file from the following input file. ADDRESS1 CITY STATE POSTAL COUNTRY LON LAT 32 PRINZREGENTENSTRASSE ROSENHEIM BAYERN 83022 DEU 1212182 4785699 263 VIA DANTE ALIGHIERI BARI PUGLIA 70122 ITA 1686233 4112154 30 VIA MILANO ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty lines at the end of a Tab-delimited file

I'm trying to remove all of the empty lines at the end of a Tab delimited file. They have no data just tabs. I've tried may things, here are a couple: sed /^\t.\t/d File1 > File2 sed /^\t{44}/d File1 > File2 What am I missing? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace & with and in tab separated file?

Hi, I have a tab separated. I want to replace all the "&" in 8th column of the file with "and" .I am trying with awk -F, -vOFS=\\t '{$8=($8=="&")?"and":$8}1' test> test1.txt My file is abc def ghk hjk lkm hgb jkluy acvf & bhj hihuhu fgg me mine he her go went has has & had hgf hgy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
expand(1)							   User Commands							 expand(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand - expand TAB characters to SPACE characters, and vice versa SYNOPSIS
expand [-t tablist] [file]... expand [-tabstop] [-tab1, tab2,. . ., tabn] [file]... unexpand [-a] [-t tablist] [file]... DESCRIPTION
The expand utility copies files (or the standard input) to the standard output, with TAB characters expanded to SPACE characters. BACKSPACE characters are preserved into the output and decrement the column count for TAB calculations. expand is useful for pre-processing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, and so forth) that contain TAB characters. unexpand copies files (or the standard input) to the standard output, putting TAB characters back into the data. By default, only leading SPACE and TAB characters are converted to strings of tabs, but this can be overridden by the -a option (see the OPTIONS section below). OPTIONS
The following options are supported for expand: -t tablist Specifies the tab stops. The argument tablist must consist of a single positive decimal integer or multiple posi- tive decimal integers, separated by blank characters or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is given, tabs will be set tablist column positions apart instead of the default 8. If multiple numbers are given, the tabs will be set at those specific column positions. Each tab-stop position N must be an integer value greater than zero, and the list must be in strictly ascending order. This is taken to mean that, from the start of a line of output, tabbing to position N causes the next character output to be in the (N+1)th column position on that line. In the event of expand having to process a tab character at a position beyond the last of those specified in a multiple tab-stop list, the tab character is replaced by a single space character in the output. -tabstop Specifies as a single argument, sets TAB characters tabstop SPACE characters apart instead of the default 8. -tab1,tab2,...,tabn Sets TAB characters at the columns specified by -tab1,tab2,...,tabn The following options are supported for unexpand: -a Inserts TAB characters when replacing a run of two or more SPACE characters would produce a smaller output file. -t tablist Specifies the tab stops. The option-argument tablist must be a single argument consisting of a single positive decimal inte- ger or multiple positive decimal integers, separated by blank characters or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is given, tabs will be set tablist column positions apart instead of the default 8. If multiple numbers are given, the tabs will be set at those specific column positions. Each tab-stop position N must be an integer value greater than zero, and the list must be in strictly ascending order. This is taken to mean that, from the start of a line of output, tabbing to posi- tion N will cause the next character output to be in the (N+1)th column position on that line. When the -t option is not specified, the default is the equivalent of specifying -t 8 (except for the interaction with -a, described below). No space-to-tab character conversions occur for characters at positions beyond the last of those specified in a multiple tab-stop list. When -t is specified, the presence or absence of the -a option is ignored; conversion will not be limited to the processing of leading blank characters. OPERANDS
The following ooperand is supported for expand and unexpand: file The path name of a text file to be used as input. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of expand and unexpand: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tabs(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 expand(1)