Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Can anybody learn how to code? Post 302904625 by rbatte1 on Thursday 5th of June 2014 08:49:10 AM
Old 06-05-2014
IT has put lots of clerks out of work by taking the boring repetitive processes they had are replacing them with machines that do far more far quicker. All the important work they would have done (for example calculating an pension liability against investments held and their daily values) could be dismantled to a series of mind-numbing processes. These actions are then logically collected into either sequences, loops, conditions etc. If you can dismantle processes far enough and then write the lowest lever of operation in a language that the computer understands, you are a programmer.

Consider making a cup of tea. What steps would you have and what could they be further broken down to?

High level process to make a cup of tea:-
  • Add tea to pot
  • Add hot water to pot
  • Allow to brew
  • Pour from pot to cup
  • Add milk

Okay? Let's move on another layer.

Two level process to make a cup of tea:-
  • Add tea to pot
    • Remove lid of pot
    • Use spoon to put one measure into pot
    • Use spoon to put 2nd measure into pot
  • Add hot water to pot
    • Fill kettle
    • Boil kettle
    • Pour hot water from the kettle spout to the pot.
  • Allow to brew
    • Lift lid
    • Wait 2 minutes
    • Mix with spoon
    • Wait 30 seconds
    • Replace lid
  • Pour from pot to cup
    • Lift pot
    • Aim at cup
    • Tip over allowing liquid to transfer
    • Stop before overflowing less enough to allow for milk
  • Add milk
    • Get bottle from refrigerator
    • Open bottle
    • Aim at cup
    • Tip over allowing liquid to transfer
    • Stop before overflowing
Right, not let's go further, and again, and ....... no perhaps let's not, but you get the picture.

At some point, you might want to cater for 50 people, i.e. 50 cups and you have a bigger pot that will make 20 cups so you have a loop where you make the pot three times, then another loop to pour and milk one cup 20 times stopping if there are either no cups left or a total of 50 have been poured.

Of course there might be exceptions to normal processing where you have a decision for some who may not want milk or those that want sugar.

It gets more and more tedious the more you analyse it, however computers are incredibly stupid. They are incredibly good at adding up and comparing plus they do not get bored so they can be given really basic stuff to do over and over again.

If you can break human processes down small enough, you are building the logic, then you just need the tools to tell the computer what to do and you are off and running. Don't be scared. Anything that is important should be safely copied away beforehand. Computers don't break real things and at worst you recover from where you started. Ever the most complex database and application should be recoverable.

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to learn!

Hiya, yes im new to all of this! But want to learn how to use Unix etc, iv been thinking about doin a course but desided im better off learning by my self with help from the people who really no what there doin...you guys! I can install Linux, like redhat, mandrake, susie server edition and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: epic.admin
5 Replies

3. Programming

Learn C or C++

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I would like to know which language is better to learn in terms of programming in unix? is C dying out and being replaced by C++ or is it a combination of the 2 or just mainly C? Thanks C19 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn UNIX?

Hey everybody, I am a 25 year old web programmer in Malaysia. I am not hapy with my line of work and I want to do something more. I know asp.net,asp,php and jsp.But they dont really land me in a good promising job wich I realy love. I am more interested in Oracle DBMS. now to be a DBA in Oracle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shounak
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want to Learn HP-UX!

What's the best free system to learn HP-UX on? The closest system, hardware requirements and installation instructions. I'm a newbie but determined. Any tips would be great. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: networkguy
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Want to learn RedHat

I Want to learn Red hat Linux at free of cost, can any one help me, I am zero in unix. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mustaq
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to learn UNIX

Hi, I am the ultimate noob when it comes to UNIX. Apart from a few basic thing like ls -l and mkdir (and that really is about as good as it gets) I know absolutely nothing about UNIX and I want to learn it and get better! I'm sure like with most things, just getting stuck in and trying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebdj
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to learn

Hi I know only basics of UNIX and i want to know that how can i become a good troubleshooter in unix adminstartion or shell scripting.... i am just a newbie to Unix ..i do not have programming skills as well. Your suggestions are welecomed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nattynitin
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

You too can learn how to code in a day! ;oO

I am not passing a comment, just waiting to read yours... ;oD Decoded: learn to write computer code in a day - Telegraph Decoded | Technology made human | On Demand, Enterprise, Masterclass (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies