Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed, Post 302904551 by Corona688 on Wednesday 4th of June 2014 04:24:47 PM
Old 06-04-2014
Starting at the beginning of the line i.e. ^, match either 2 or 3 of any character, i.e. "." before a "w" character.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with sed

Hi, I'm trying following:echo "test line XA24433 test" | sed 's/.*X\(.*\)/X\1/' XA24433 test While I want the output as: XA24433 I want to grab the words starting with letter X till the next space, this word can be anywhere in the line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with SED

Hi! I'm trying to write a regexp but I have no luck... I have a string like this: param1=sometext&param2=hello&param3=bye Also, the string can be simply: param2=hello I want to return the value of param2: "hello". How can I do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GagleKas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED (regular expression) problem ---

Hello, I would like to replace Line 187 of my file named run_example. The original line is below, including the spaces: celldm(1) = 6.00, I want it to become something like celldm(1) = 6.05, or celldm(1) = 6.10, where the number is stored in a variable called... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesmodular
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression (sed)

Hi I need to get text that are within "" For example File: asdasd "test test2" sadasds asdda asdasd "demo demo2" Output: test test2 demo demo2 Any help is good Thank you (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blito_loco
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regular expression help

please consider this: echo "11111*X*005010X279~ST*270*1111111*005010X279~BHT*0011*11" | sed 's/.*\(005010X(\d)(\d)(\d)*\).*$/\1/'i'm searching for first occurrence of 005010X while leaving rest of characters out. :confused: any tips? thnx in advance guys. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep01
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression In Sed

Hi , I am learing sed echo abc 123 def 456 | sed 's|\(*\) \(*\)|\1|' is returning abc def 456 i was hoping abc def "\1" should only print the occurence of the first pattern but according to my understanding it is just removing the first occurence of the second pattern... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed regular expression

Hi all, I want to get a substring from a string based on given delimiter, for example: str="foo|bar|baz" with delimiter "|", I want to get one substring at each time with the order number the substring in the whole string, given 1 to get "foo", given 2 to get "bar", given 3 to get "baz", I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regular expression

Hi , I need to remove pipe character from a |^ delimeted file. Something like |^tran|sformers||^|revenge |of fallen|^ to |^transformers|^revenge of fallen|^... Cold anybody please help to build the regular expression using sed . many thanks. Please use code tags next time for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokjek
1 Replies
fnmatch(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       fnmatch(3C)

NAME
fnmatch - match filename or path name SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function matches patterns as described on the fnmatch(5) manual page. It checks the string argument to see if it matches the pattern argument. The flags argument modifies the interpretation of pattern and string. It is the bitwise inclusive OR of zero or more of the following flags defined in the header <fnmatch.h>. FNM_PATHNAME If set, a slash (/) character in string will be explicitly matched by a slash in pattern; it will not be matched by either the asterisk (*) or question-mark (?) special characters, nor by a bracket ([]) expression. If not set, the slash character is treated as an ordinary character. FNM_NOESCAPE If not set, a backslash character () in pattern followed by any other character will match that second character in string. In particular, "\" will match a backslash in string. If set, a backslash character will be treated as an ordinary character. FNM_PERIOD If set, a leading period in string will match a period in pattern; where the location of "leading" is indicated by the value of FNM_PATHNAME: o If FNM_PATHNAME is set, a period is "leading" if it is the first character in string or if it immediately fol- lows a slash. o If FNM_PATHNAME is not set, a period is "leading" only if it is the first character of string. If not set, no special restrictions are placed on matching a period. RETURN VALUES
If string matches the pattern specified by pattern, then fnmatch() returns 0. If there is no match, fnmatch() returns FNM_NOMATCH, which is defined in the header <fnmatch.h>. If an error occurs, fnmatch() returns another non-zero value. USAGE
The fnmatch() function has two major uses. It could be used by an application or utility that needs to read a directory and apply a pattern against each entry. The find(1) utility is an example of this. It can also be used by the pax(1) utility to process its pattern operands, or by applications that need to match strings in a similar manner. The name fnmatch() is intended to imply filename match, rather than pathname match. The default action of this function is to match file- names, rather than path names, since it gives no special significance to the slash character. With the FNM_PATHNAME flag, fnmatch() does match path names, but without tilde expansion, parameter expansion, or special treatment for period at the beginning of a filename. The fnmatch() function can be used safely in multithreaded applications, as long as setlocale(3C) is not being called to change the locale. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), pax(1), glob(3C), setlocale(3C), wordexp(3C), attributes(5), fnmatch(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 24 Jul 2002 fnmatch(3C)