Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Integrity check for the backup Post 302904169 by hicksd8 on Monday 2nd of June 2014 01:12:21 PM
Old 06-02-2014
I agree with rbatte1.

Firstly, what are you trying to achieve? Is this some kind of academic exercise?

The basic backup utilities like cpio, tar and ufsdump were written years ago by people who did their homework. Most of us use these utilities (or other more expensive backup suites) to implement our backups. If these utilities were 'faulty' they wouldn't have been released as part of the O/S otherwise there would be uproar.

The main considerations we take into account are:

1. Did the backup job exit in a non-zero state, ie, with an error, eg, backup job lost communication with the volume being backed up.

2. Was there a full system crash during the backup that stopped it?

3. Is the media holding the backup readable (eg, is the tape too old and knackered)? Verify this by listing the media, possibly to a file, and then counting number of lines in the file to tell you the number of files backed up. A script could notify you if the number is "out of range".

Even if you run a backup in single user mode some files will still change between backup and verify, eg, log files.

You don't need everything to be exact to the trillionth bytes to perform a full system restore and get the system on its feet.

So tell us all some more information about the need.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check the size of the backup from the tape?

Hi, How can I check the size of the databse/filesystem in the tape (4MM or 8MM)? For example, I want to restore some databse/filesystem backup to the system. Before that I wanna check the size of that from the tape.Please help me regarding..... Regards, Sharif. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
0 Replies

2. AIX

Check the backup dates on Tape

Hi all I am using IBM machines with tape drive, what i do is go to informis and i insert the tape and run the command "ontape -s -L " and the level of backup that i want to take. Now what i want to check is which days are the backup being run, does the system create a log and stores info where... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check that backup MX actually does its job

Hey! I have just configured an backup MX using Mail::Toaster under FreeBSD. As I'm a novice when it comes to mailservers, I need to ask someone how to check that this backup really does its job. My primare MX is unfortunately on a Dynamic IP line, but its unsusual for it to change the IP.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
4 Replies

5. Solaris

File Integrity Check

Hi, I have two NFS shares mounted on a solaris system. share1 and share2 , both are from different NFS servers share1 has 500GB of data share 2 is empty. I am copying all the data from share1 to share2. It is like migrating the data from one NFS share to another. Is there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: athreyavc
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check mail backup cron job

i have just installed a cron job to run at 3 in the morning once a week. It's difficult for me to test if it works because the email backup program takes the email service down before running the backup. I wondered if i could ask you gurus if this would work? 0 3 * * 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

data integrity check needed

Hi friends I need copied 100gd of data to other Solaris server. Could anyone help me guiding appropriate way of checking data integrity at source and destination so can I delete the data at source location . How can print/check cksum of individual file in each folder and match it with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk_kamozalwar
7 Replies
idevicebackup2(1)					      General Commands Manual						 idevicebackup2(1)

NAME
idevicebackup2 - Create or restore backups for devices running iOS 4 or later. SYNOPSIS
idevicebackup2 [OPTIONS] CMD [CMDOPTIONS] DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
Create or restore backup from the current or specified directory. OPTIONS
-u, --udid UDID target specific device by its 40-digit device UDID. -s, --source UDID use backup data from device specified by UDID. -i, --interactive request passwords interactively on the command line. -d, --debug enable communication debugging. -h, --help prints usage information. COMMANDS
backup create backup for the device. restore restore last backup to the device. --system restore system files, too. --reboot reboot the system when done. --copy create a copy of backup folder before restoring. --settings restore device settings from the backup. --remove remove items which are not being restored. --password PWD supply the password of the source backup. info show details about last completed backup of device. list list files of last completed backup in CSV format. encryption on|off [PWD] enable or disable backup encryption. changepw [OLD NEW] change backup password on target device. AUTHORS
Martin Szulecki Nikias Bassen SEE ALSO
idevicebackup(1) idevicebackup2(1)