Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ambiguous output redirect in xterm Post 302903881 by MadeInGermany on Friday 30th of May 2014 09:49:49 AM
Old 05-30-2014
What you want is
Code:
xterm -hold -e "sh -c 'rsh amaqc01 tar -cvML471859200 -f amatap0"$tape_nd":/dev/st"$tape_dr" /dir1/dir2 2>&1' | foo/bar.txt" &

Or you can code it for csh (only):
Code:
xterm -hold -e "rsh amaqc01 tar -cvML471859200 -f amatap0"$tape_nd":/dev/st"$tape_dr" /dir1/dir2 |& foo/bar.txt" &

Do you really need to capture stderr in foo/bar.txt?
If not, in your current script you can simply omit the 2>&1.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Xterm

I am using a program that opens up an Xterm window, where the simulation running sends a lot of messages to. I would like to keep these messages, but I guess the buffer size is not large enough to show all of them, they get truncated. So my questions are: 1. How can I redirect the messages... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barisgultekin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect

i have following statement in the script echo -e "$str_XML_col_name:$str_field_type;" >> $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema here $i_DC_Key is DC key and $i_Tgt_DC_key are the variables............... when i ran the script i am getting error rec_merge.sh: $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect error

Hi everyone, While I was trying to do DATE=`date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"` STARTLOG=$TUXSTDDIR/start_$DATE.log tmboot -y > $STARTLOG 2>&1 I got an error i.e. Ambiguous output redirect error. Here the first part is to boot the account so there is nothing wrong with that.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

> to empty files, but ambiguous redirect

Hi Everyone, # ll total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a1.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a2.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a3.log # rm a.log above rm no problem, but when i use "> a.log", it says "-bash: a.log: ambiguous redirect". ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect issue

I am trying to run the following script and I am getting an "ambiguous redirect" error. I have checked to make sure that the files are all where I have specified and are read/write as needed. Any ideas? Note: I have removed the actual path info for privacy sake. I have triple checked to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malantha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous redirect

Hello there, I'm totally new in bash programming and ran into my first problem. My script should generate 3 textfiles where the content of the first and the third row are the same in each file. Only the second row is different. This is what I did in a very simplified explanation: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johndoe
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ambiguous redirect error

This script has ambiguous redirect error. ... cd $HOME cd folder/work # search all subfolders in work directory find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read directory do CUR_FOLDER="${directory#"./"}" cd $CUR_FOLDER chmod 644 * for ff in *; do if ; then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyme
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving 'ambiguous redirect' when trying to run command against multiple files

I came across the command string on https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141885-awk-removing-data-before-after-pattern.html which was what I was looking for to be able to remove data before a certain pattern. However, outputting the result to a file seems to work on an individual basis... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

9. Linux

Ambiguous redirect error and syntax error when using on multiple files

Hi, I need help on following linux bash script. When I linux commands for loop or while loop on individual file it runs great. but now I want the script to run on N number of files so it gives me ambiguous redirect error on line 12 and syntax error on line 22 : (pls help ); #!/bin/bash #... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhusudan Das
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

$1”: ambiguous redirect

New to the site, please let me know I'm not meeting the post guidelines. I'm creating a bash script to generate a report with output from a grep command. The goal is to direct the output to a different log file by using a 'logger file'. But I get this error during the run: $1: ambiguous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallas88
5 Replies
resize(1X)																resize(1X)

NAME
resize - set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [-u] [-c] [-s[row col]] OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's cur- rent shell is not /bin/sh. This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/csh. This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the special xterm escape code. If rows and col- umns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. DESCRIPTION
The resize command prints a shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm win- dow from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that do not have command functions will need to send the output to a tem- porary file and the read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out FILES
for the base termcap entry to modify. user's alias for the command. BUGS
The -u or -c must appear to the left of -s if both are specified. SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1X) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(1X) for a complete copyright notice. resize(1X)