Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: USB-Ethernet/Ethernet-USB
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users USB-Ethernet/Ethernet-USB Post 302903625 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of May 2014 04:10:58 PM
Old 05-28-2014
Yes, it'd need an IP address to talk over an IP network just like your other ethernet devices.

The "port" has more to do with the program you're connecting with. Consider it like a telephone branch office. The IP address is the "building", the port is the "extension number". Opening 1.2.3.4 port 80 would get you its web server, 1.2.3.4 port 21 would get its ssh server, etc.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ethernet

We are trying to Establish Network using Linux.Now we are facing the problem in configring Ethernet.In out network we are giving eth0 in server and activating it at the boot time,so it is activating as it is but when we define the Ethernet of node on server and allowing it to activate at boot time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: at_renai2001
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Quad Ethernet

I have a Quad Ethernet card in a 220R. 2 ports activated. Each has its own hostname file and both hostnames are in the hosts file. I want both ports to have the same IP address so we can use the 2nd port in case we lose communication on the port. On bootup, the box gives me: SIOCSLIFFLAGS:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
5 Replies

3. AIX

ethernet down

Hello everyone I have a problem with one server, has Aix 5.3 in the errpt has this message IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION F3931284 0105133009 I H ent0 ETHERNET NETWORK RECOVERY MODE EC0BCCD4 0105133009 T H ent0 ETHERNET DOWN F3931284 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Ethernet Port Name

I have a new Sun 440 and I am trying to configure it. Non of the Ethernet ports are enabled; when I issue "ifconfig -a" it returns nothing. Is there a way to know the available port name (e.g. ce, bge, etc.) by running a command or so ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
4 Replies

5. Solaris

ethernet

my solris box network is unreachable how to solve this ipaddress assiagning and entry in vi /etc/host how to solve network is unreachable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
2 Replies

6. Solaris

solaris ethernet card and mounting usb drives

I had installed soalris 10 on my dell vostro 1400.It had installed succefully. If i type ifconfig -a it is showing only my loop back adpater. So how to tell me how to mount my usb drive and how to configure my lan ethernet card,My lan ethernet card is Broadcom. Tell me step... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testerindia25
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

8. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies
ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)					   User Commands				       ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)

NAME
ssh-socks5-proxy-connect - Secure Shell proxy for SOCKS5 SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect [-h socks5_proxy_host] [-p socks5_proxy_port] connect_host connect_port DESCRIPTION
A proxy command for ssh(1) that uses SOCKS5 (RFC 1928). Typical use is where connections external to a network are only allowed via a socks gateway server. This proxy command does not provide any of the SOCKS5 authentication mechanisms defined in RFC 1928. Only anonymous connections are possi- ble. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -h socks5_proxy_host Specifies the proxy web server through which to connect. Overrides the SOCKS5_SERVER environment variable. -p socks5_proxy_port Specifies the port on which the proxy web server runs. If not specified, port 80 is assumed. Overrides the SOCKS5_PORT environment variable. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: socks5_proxy_host The host name or IP address (IPv4 or IPv6) of the proxy. socks5_proxy_port The numeric port number to connect to on socks5_proxy_host. connect_host The name of the remote host to which the socks gateway is to connect you. connect_port The numeric port number of the socks gateway to connect you to on connect_host. EXAMPLES
The recommended way to use a proxy connection command is to configure the ProxyCommand in ssh_config(4) (see Example 1 and Example 2). Example 3 shows how the proxy command can be specified on the command line when running ssh(1). Example 1 Setting the proxy from the environment The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect in ssh_config(4) when the proxy is set from the environment: Host playtime.foo.com ProxyCommand /usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect playtime.foo.com 22 Example 2 Overriding proxy environment variables The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect in ssh_config(4) to override (or if not set) proxy environment variables: Host playtime.foo.com ProxyCommand /usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect -h socks-gw -p 1080 playtime.foo.com 22 Example 3 Using the command line The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect from the ssh(1) command line: example$ ssh -o'ProxyCommand=/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect -h socks-gw -p 1080 playtime.foo.com 22' playtime.foo.com ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SOCKS5_SERVER Takes socks5_proxy_host operand to specify the default proxy host. SOCKS5_PORT Takes socks5_proxy_port operand to specify the default proxy port. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsshu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-http-proxy-connect(1), ssh_config(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 30 Oct 2002 ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)