Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep command construction
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep command construction Post 302903360 by mohtashims on Tuesday 27th of May 2014 05:42:52 AM
Old 05-27-2014
Power Grep command construction

Hi,

I have an array variable "arr" that reads string from a file "vari.txt". Thus, the array will be of variable length depending how many entries are present in "vari.txt"

I use a for loop to traverse through the array.

However, i need a grep command to grep for a file "output.txt" and displays all the lines of output.txt except those that are present in the arrar arr.

I know how to traverse an array, grep -v and how to grep for multiple strings simultaneously.

Can you help me how could i achieve the grep command that displays all the lines of "output.txt" except those that are present in the arrar arr.

vari.txt (in this sample we have 4 entries, but it can have more or less entries i.e it varies)
Code:
Hello
Yellow
Home
Fellow

output.txt
Code:
The grass is Green.
Fellow, The color is Yellow.
I like to see you play.
i rang you up and said HELLO

The desired result should be:
Code:
The grass is Green
I like to see you play.

Last edited by mohtashims; 05-27-2014 at 06:57 AM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Password Construction

Could someone please help, I am new to unix and I am trying to do the following: o Each password must have at least eight characters. Only the first eight characters are significant. PASSLENGTH is found in /etc/default/passwd and is set to 6. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tumbikikani
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matrix construction

Hi experts How to construct a rectangular matrix for a text file with 6012 rows and 2221 columns. Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riyabio
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matrix construction

Hi I have to construct a rectangular matrix with 6012 rows and 2221 columns. Here the rows and columns were given by alphanumeric ids in a file named row.txt and column.txt respectively. with this row nd column ids I have to construct a matrix ie 6012*2221 and compare the column ids with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riyabio
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regex construction

I am trying to construct a regular expression that will filter a log file containing the following table: aP mP mC,mI oP oC oF oI tP tI hP ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

case construction for basic Arithmetics calculation

the scrip (q4.sh) should perform the following calcuation (+, -, / and *) it should be used like this: q4.sh number1 operation number2 I wrote it already but the "*" does not work. #!/bin/bash #Date: 2010.10.19 # un script qui utilisera une instruction case pour effectuer des opérations... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: flash80
6 Replies

6. Web Development

Website construction nowaday!

Hello, Actually I am not sure how to ask this question, which is about the technique advance on website construction/design. Compared with HTML/CSS, which ones are the most popular for website construction? My colleague recommends Drupal for Linux platform. Any other? Thanks! Yifang (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)