Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting file count in a variable Post 302903309 by swasid on Tuesday 27th of May 2014 12:41:34 AM
Old 05-27-2014
@Don,

The value of fcnt is getting reset to 0 immediately after the for loop

Code:
cd /temp    # This was actually /tmp
fcnt=0
for i in aa bb cc dd
do      if [ -e "sample_${i}_test" ]
        then    fcnt=$((fcnt + 1))
        fi
done
echo $fcnt # This has a value of 0
if [ $fcnt -eq 4 ]
then    echo "There are $fcnt files present in /temp"
else    echo "There are only $fcnt files present in /temp; try again later." #Says 0 files present even though there are files
        exit 1
fi
echo 'Continue processing...'

Also, is there a way to alert the user by echoing the missing file(s)?

Thanks for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

select count(*) into a variable

Hi, Could anybody help me how can I assign the value of "select count(*) from table1" to a variable in an unix shell script. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguda
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting file count to a variable

Hey guys. My goal here is to count the number of .dat files in in a directory(28 files). If 28 files exist I am ok. Having trouble doing this. Any help would b e greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/ksh #============================================================================= ### Define local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the record count in an EBCDIC file.

How do I get the record count in an EBCDIC file on a Linux Box. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oracle8
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Sum, Count and Distinct Count of a file

Hi all this is a UNIX question. I have a large flat file with millions of records. col1|col2|col3 1|a|b 2|c|d 3|e|f 3|g|h footer**** I am supposed to calculate the sum of col1 1+2+3+3=9, count of col1 1,2,3,3=4, and distinct count of col1 1,2,3=c3 I would like it if you avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhabhijit
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count of a string within a variable

I am writing ksh to check for duplicate records in two different set of tables on oracle database, to get this i am running two plsql qurries at a time through the ksh, so the output of the qurries will be stored in variable say "SQL_STRING". So now to say if duplicate records exists in table or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To count a string with in a variable

I am writing a ksh to check for duplicate records in two different set of tables on oracle database, to get this i am running two plsql qurries at a time through the ksh, so the output of the qurries will be stored in variable say "SQL_STRING". So now to say if duplicate records exists in table or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set a variable with a count variable i.e. VARIABLE$COUNT

Hi All I've very nearly finished this script I'm working on but have hit another idiots problem, after googling I can't see a solution for this one. I have a while count loop that checks checks two consecutive values then increments the count by two. What the script has to do is then check... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

count lines in file to variable

I have a text file in which you need to identify the number of lines that looks like this: awk '{x + +} END {print x}' filename The problem is that I do not know how this data to any variable in which then need to continue to work in a cycle for .. do not know someone help? Sorry for my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To count total of specific character in a file and save its value to a variable

Hi all, I have a file that contains characters. How do I get total of spesific character from that file and save the count to a variable for doing for calculation. data.txt 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 4 5 6 7 8 5 4 3 4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable search and line count between variable-search pattern

Input: |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:48:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:49:54 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:54:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:55:45 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:00:02 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:01:44 BST 2016... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
4 Replies
AUTORECONF(1)						      General Commands Manual						     AUTORECONF(1)

NAME
autoreconf2.13 - update configure scripts SYNOPSIS
autoreconf2.13 [ --help | -h ] [ --force | -f ] [ --localdir=dir | -l dir ] [ --macrodir=dir | -m dir ] [ --verbose ] [ --version ] DESCRIPTION
If you have a lot of Autoconf-generated configure scripts, the autoreconf2.13 program can save you some work. It runs autoconf2.13 (and autoheader2.13, where appropriate) repeatedly to remake the Autoconf configure scripts and configuration header templates in the directory tree rooted at the current directory. By default, it only remakes those files that are older than their configure.in or (if present) aclo- cal.m4. Since autoheader2.13 does not change the timestamp of its output file if the file wouldn't be changing, this is not necessarily the minimum amount of work. If you install a new version of Autoconf, you can make autoreconf2.13 remake all of the files by giving it the --force option. If you give autoreconf2.13 the --macrodir=DIR or --localdir=DIR options, it passes them down to autoconf2.13 and autoheader2.13 (with rela- tive paths adjusted properly). autoreconf2.13 does not support having, in the same directory tree, both directories that are parts of a larger package (sharing aclocal.m4 and acconfig.h), and directories that are independent packages (each with their own aclocal.m4 and acconfig.h). It assumes that they are all part of the same package, if you use --localdir, or that each directory is a separate package, if you don't use it. This restriction may be removed in the future. autoreconf2.13 accepts the following options: --help -h Print a summary of the command line options and exit. --force -f Remake even configure scripts and configuration headers that are newer than their input files (configure.in and, if present, aclo- cal.m4). --localdir=DIR -l DIR Look for the package file aclocal.m4 in directory DIR instead of in the current directory. --macrodir=DIR -m DIR Look for the installed macro files in directory DIR. You can also set the AC_MACRODIR environment variable to a directory; this option overrides the environment variable. --verbose Print the name of each directory where autoreconf2.13 runs autoconf2.13 (and autoheader2.13, if appropriate). --version Print the version number of Autoconf and exit. SEE ALSO
autoconf2.13(1), autoheader2.13(1), autoscan2.13(1), autoupdate2.13(1), ifnames2.13(1) AUTHORS
David MacKenzie, with help from Franc,ois Pinard, Karl Berry, Richard Pixley, Ian Lance Taylor, Roland McGrath, Noah Friedman, David D. Zuhn, and many others. This manpage written by Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux autoconf2.13 package. Autoconf AUTORECONF(1)