Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed or Grep Parsing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed or Grep Parsing Post 302903300 by Don Cragun on Monday 26th of May 2014 09:19:15 PM
Old 05-26-2014
By definition, "when username can be any textual value" and "where 1 can be any numerical value" do not describe literal strings. The following should do what you have described now if the version of sed you're using conforms to the standards:
Code:
sed -n 's/.*(Interaction (\([^)]*\))).*TotalQuantity value="\([0-9]*\)".*/\1: \2/p' file

If file contains:
Code:
<tag>(Interaction (user1))</tag><tag2>TotalQuantity value="121"</tag2>
<tag>Interaction (user2)</tag><tag2>TotalQuantity value="122"</tag2>
<tag>(Interaction (user3))</tag><tag2>TotalQuantity value="123x"</tag2>
<tag>(Interaction (user4))</tag><tag2>TotalQuantity value="124"</tag2>

the script above produces:
Code:
user1: 121
user4: 124

If you're using a GNU utilities version of sed and the above doesn't work, we can convert the BRE to an ERE and use awk instead of sed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed parsing

hi , i would like to parse some file with the fallowing data : data data data "unwanted data" data data "unwanted data" data data data data #unwanted data. what i want it to have any coments between "" and after # to be erased using awk or/and sed. has anyone an idea? thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darsh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed parsing error

I'm having a problem with a sed script. A programmer needs to change columns 942,943,944 to blank spaces only where it has the number 999 in every line. I didn't have a copy of the data file to test with originally so made my own up with a bunch of x's and put 999 in columns 5-7. The sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gravy26
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing with awk or sed

I want to delete corrupt records from a file through awk or sed. Can anyone help me with this Thanks Striker Change subject to a descriptive one, ty. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahul_us
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing cron with sed

Hello I want to convert my cron list into a csv Can you please help me with sed ? eg: Convert #06,21,36,51 * * 1,2 * (. ~/.profile ; timex /some/path/script -30 -15) >> /some/path/logfile2 2>&1 * * * * * (. ~/.profile ; timex /some/path/script2) > /some/path/logfile2 To:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed (parsing value)

All, Can somebody provide me with some sed expertise on how to parse the following line. 27-MAR-2011 10:28:01 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=dmart)(CID=(PROGRAM=sqlplus)(HOST=mtasnprod1)(USER=mtasnord))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.197.7.47)(PORT=54881)) * establish * dmart * 0 I would like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out access.log with awk and grep

In part of my script I use awk to pull out the urls. awk '{print $8}' then I take them and send them to grep.` Some of them are straight .com/ or .org or whatever (address bar entries), while others are locations of images, js, etc. I'm trying to only pull any line that ends with .com/... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: druisgod
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed special parsing

What is the shortest & right way to remove the string "" with a sed statement ? echo 'whateverwhatever' | sed ........ ? :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk/grep or parsing in python code

Hello, I am writing a python code. The output of the python code needs a little bit of parsing. From the output of python code, which has a lot of redundant data, I need to cut only those words or numbers which end with &. for example: if the output is-- "This is an example of tgbn123& what i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Screech_you
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing string into grep

I'm using sh under AIX 5.3 and after grep'ing, awk'ing, splitting a file, I end up with two variables as: 0123456 789Can these values be somehow passed into a grep as two different variables using xargs or something? What I want to do is this (the echo is just for effect here): echo 0123456 789... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing via sed issue

sorry I messed up the last post with too many mistakes and corrections so I closed it and opening a new one which should be clear to everyone .my apologies to the admins. I am using sun solaris and Linux , what I want is SED to print any string (or output it to a file preferably) that does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boncuk
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)