Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Blocks of text in a file - extract when matches... Post 302903235 by Bashingaway on Monday 26th of May 2014 09:24:47 AM
Old 05-26-2014
Blocks of text in a file - extract when matches...

I sat down yesterday to write this script and have just realised that my methodology is broken........

In essense I have.....
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------  (This line really is in the file)               
                     Service ID: 12345                
                        Event ID: 67890               
                      start_date: 0xdde8 21:00:00 (Sat May 31 22:00:00 2014)                
                        duration:  01:00:00                
                             name:     Any old name info could be in here                
                                text:        Extended information description......        
                 Content Type:  Specific set of 10 different flag types            
                    Event CRID:  /XXYYZZ 
----------------------------------------------------------------              
                      Service ID: 54321                
                         Event ID: 09876               
                       start_date: 0xdde9 20:00:00 (Sun Jun 1 21:00:00 2014)                
                         duration:  02:00:00                
                              name:     Any old name info could be in here                
                                 text:        Extended information description......        
                  Content Type:  Specific set of 10 different flag types
                     Event CRID:  /YYZZXX 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes....there can be other new fields introduced from the source witout notice and with no control over naming.

And so on repeated up to a couple of thousand times.

What I want to do is the following..

Match against the Service ID variables (specific values, got from different external source) and partial match against the name for specific words.....

So I had coded this as a:-
Code:
cat /imputfile.txt | while read LINEVAR ; do  

if [[ $LINEVAR == "Service ID:"* ]] && [[  $LINEVAR ==  *$VARIABLE1*  ||  $LINEVAR == *$VARIABLE2*  ]]; then  

echo "Found a match........"  

do some stuff  

done

I've just realised my flawed thinking.......I need the data from the:-

start_date
duration
name
text
event crid

Lines to be able to complete my data process and of course as I'm reading this on a LINE by LINE basis I can't then identify the correct subsequent fields in the source file....basically I'm a twit!!

So I have to come up with a different method but I'm having a brain f*rt and can't think, partly because I don't do a lot of bash so syntax always has to be re-looked up.

Ideas?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks

Last edited by vbe; 05-26-2014 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract if pattern matches

Hi All, I have an input below. I tried to use the awk below but it seems that it ;s not working. Can anybody help ? My concept here is to find the 2nd field of the last occurrence of such pattern " ** XXX ccc ccc cc cc ccc 2007 " . In this case, the 2nd field is " XXX ". With this "XXX" term... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
20 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequence blocks

Hi, I have an one-line file consisting of a sequence of 660 letters. I would like to extract 9-letter blocks iteratively: ASDFGHJKLQWERTYUIOPZXCVBNM first block: ASDFGHJKL 1nd block: SDFGHJKLQ What I have so far only gives me the first block, can anyone please explain why? cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solli
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract blocks of text from a file

Hi, This is part of a large text file I need to separate out. I'd like some help to build a shell script that will extract the text between sets of dashed lines, write that to a new file using the whole or part of the first text string as the new file name, then move on to the next one and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cajunfries
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences of bytes from binary for differents blocks

Hello to all, I would like to search sequences of bytes inside big binary file. The bin file contains blocks of information, each block begins is estructured as follow: 1- Each block begins with the hex 32 (1 byte) and ends with FF. After the FF of the last block, it follows 33. 2- Next... (59 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
59 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding and removing blocks of text from file

Hello all, short story: I'm writing a script to add and remove dns records in dns files. Its on a RHEL 5.5 So far i've locked up the basic operations in a couple of functions: - validate the parameters - search for existant ip in file when adding - search for existant name records in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate text blocks from a file?

Hi All I have a list of files which will have duplicate list of blocks of text. Following is a sample of the file, I have removed the sensitive information from the file. All the code samples starts from <TR BGCOLOR="white"> and Ends with IP address and two html tags like this. 10.14.22.22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahasona
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the sentences from a text file that matches a pattern list

Hi I have a big text file. I want to extract all the sentences that matches at least 70% (seventy percent) of the words from each sentence based on a word list called A. Say the format of the text file is as given below: This is the first sentence which consists of fifteen words... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies