Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to truncate wtmp files Post 302903175 by Chubler_XL on Monday 26th of May 2014 12:12:54 AM
Old 05-26-2014
What OS are you on?

Linux uses logrotated to handle this, on AIX you would use fwtmp and if on Solaris you would most likely use logadm.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Wtmp Reader

I would loke to read the WTMP file. This is a binary file in the /var/logs directory. Is there any utility which will convert this binary file to ASCII format? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgold1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resetting WTMP?

When I type last oracle I get dates from Nov 28, 2000 all the way back to the beginning of time it seems. The 11-28-2000 entry states that Oracle is still logged in, but if you type a who, it shows only 1 entry - the currently logged in user (Me as oracle), but I logged in only minutes ago - and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuppjr
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wtmp

Hi, is it ok if i delete wtmp on HPUX 11 under /var/adm It is filling up that filesystem Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsharples
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

truncate wtmp

I have AIX5.1 I have been trying to learn how to truncate the /var/adm/wtmp file. I have seen several things on google actually but don't quite understand. I also searched your forums but couldn't find it. one says this ">/var/adm/wtmp Is that all I do? I have a seperate question also. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

truncate file script is not working

Hi All, I have an application which writes log in to a file. The file size becomes around min of 800 MB a day. So I have written a script which backup the file and truncate the original file. My script is like this cp X.log /backup/X.log1 > X.log But the second truncate command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvenkat_in
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate Log files

Hi Gurus, I have several log files running in real time and needs to be truncated 50% or all but has to keep the logs piling up. Any ideas? For example: /var/adm/messages and others apps log files Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymous1
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script required to truncate all the lines except a specific snippet.

Hi, I have a file with the following structure. XXXXX........... YYYYY........... ................. .................. ZZZZZZ...... qwerty_start.............. .................. ................. .................. querty_end................ .............................. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinash
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making wtmp files readable one at a time

New Unix user/scripter here. Been trying to solve a problem for two days now with no luck. Hoping someone here has an answer. Essentially I have a list of wtmp files which I have decompressed and copied to a temporary directory. Using the following command I can turn them into a file than can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stryfe16
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

wtmp output

Hi, Can anybody explain wtmp output fields? A dir was created at 7:11pm and I wanted to find out who was logged in at that time but as you can see there is no ip address listed when I run utmpdump against the wtmp file..... R, D. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
1 Replies
ac(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     ac(8)

Name
       ac - login accounting

Syntax
       /etc/ac [ -w wtmp ] [ -p ] [ -d ] [ people ] ...

Description
       The  command  produces a printout giving connect time for each user who has logged in during the life of the current wtmp file.	A total is
       also produced.

The accounting file is maintained by and Neither of these programs creates the file, so if it does not exist no connect-time accounting	is
       done.   To  start  accounting,  it should be created with length 0.  On the other hand if the file is left undisturbed it will grow without
       bound, so periodically any information desired should be collected and the file truncated.

Options
       -w     Specifies an alternate wtmp file.

-p     Prints individual totals; without this option, only totals are printed.

-d     Causes a printout for each midnight to midnight period.  Any people will limit the printout to only the specified login  names.	If
	      no wtmp file is given, is used.

Files
See Also
       last(1), lastcomm(1), login(1), utmp(5), init(8), sa(8)

ac(8)