Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to truncate wtmp files Post 302903005 by ElizabethPJ on Friday 23rd of May 2014 11:48:39 AM
Old 05-23-2014
Script to truncate wtmp files

Hi,

Does anyone have a script to truncate the wtmp file.

I want to move older entries in the wtmp to a new file and move it out of var/adm and shrink the size.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Wtmp Reader

I would loke to read the WTMP file. This is a binary file in the /var/logs directory. Is there any utility which will convert this binary file to ASCII format? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgold1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resetting WTMP?

When I type last oracle I get dates from Nov 28, 2000 all the way back to the beginning of time it seems. The 11-28-2000 entry states that Oracle is still logged in, but if you type a who, it shows only 1 entry - the currently logged in user (Me as oracle), but I logged in only minutes ago - and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuppjr
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wtmp

Hi, is it ok if i delete wtmp on HPUX 11 under /var/adm It is filling up that filesystem Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsharples
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

truncate wtmp

I have AIX5.1 I have been trying to learn how to truncate the /var/adm/wtmp file. I have seen several things on google actually but don't quite understand. I also searched your forums but couldn't find it. one says this ">/var/adm/wtmp Is that all I do? I have a seperate question also. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

truncate file script is not working

Hi All, I have an application which writes log in to a file. The file size becomes around min of 800 MB a day. So I have written a script which backup the file and truncate the original file. My script is like this cp X.log /backup/X.log1 > X.log But the second truncate command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvenkat_in
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate Log files

Hi Gurus, I have several log files running in real time and needs to be truncated 50% or all but has to keep the logs piling up. Any ideas? For example: /var/adm/messages and others apps log files Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymous1
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script required to truncate all the lines except a specific snippet.

Hi, I have a file with the following structure. XXXXX........... YYYYY........... ................. .................. ZZZZZZ...... qwerty_start.............. .................. ................. .................. querty_end................ .............................. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinash
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making wtmp files readable one at a time

New Unix user/scripter here. Been trying to solve a problem for two days now with no luck. Hoping someone here has an answer. Essentially I have a list of wtmp files which I have decompressed and copied to a temporary directory. Using the following command I can turn them into a file than can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stryfe16
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

wtmp output

Hi, Can anybody explain wtmp output fields? A dir was created at 7:11pm and I wanted to find out who was logged in at that time but as you can see there is no ip address listed when I run utmpdump against the wtmp file..... R, D. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
1 Replies
last(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   last(8)

NAME
last - Displays information about previous logins SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/last [-n maxlines | -maxlines] [-f filename] [name...] [tty...] FLAGS
Reads information about previous logins from filename instead of from the accounting file /var/adm/wtmp. Limits the output to maxlines number of record lines. Limits the output to maxlines number of record lines. Provides SVID conformance, and is equivalent to -maxlines. DESCRIPTION
The last command displays, in reverse chronological order, all previous logins and logouts entered in the currently active /var/adm/wtmp file. The list of output records can be restricted to maxlines number of record lines if the -maxlines or the -n maxlines flag is speci- fied. The last command also displays logins and logouts by the user specified with the name parameter, and logins and logouts from termi- nals specified with the tty parameter. The tty terminal references can be fully named (for example, tty0) or abbreviated (for example, 0). For each process, the following information is displayed according to session, with the most recent session listed first: Time session began Duration of session The tty terminal on which session took place The following information is included when applicable: Terminations when rebooting Continuing sessions If the last command is interrupted, an indication of how far the search has progressed in the /var/adm/wtmp file is provided. If the com- mand is interrupted by a quit signal, an indication as to how far the search has progressed is provided, but the search continues. To obtain information about the mean time between reboots, use the word shutdown as the name parameter. EXAMPLES
The following example displays all recorded logins and logouts for user root and all recorded logins and logouts from the console terminal: last root console The following example displays the time between system reboots: % last shutdown shutdown ~ Fri Aug 28 17:59 shutdown ~ Mon Aug 17 09:07 wtmp begins Mon Aug 17 08:51 In the previous example, the shutdown pseudouser is used to list the mean time between system reboots. FILES
Specifies the command path. Header file defining structures used to organize login information. The login/logout database file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: lastcomm(8) Files: utmp(4), wtmp(4). delim off last(8)