Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove multiple lines from a text file Post 302902559 by prvnrk on Wednesday 21st of May 2014 06:12:37 AM
Old 05-21-2014
Remove multiple lines from a text file

Hi

I have a text file named main.txt with 10,000 lines. I have another file with a list of line numbers (around 1000) of the lines to be deleted from main.txt file.

I tried with sed but it removes only a range of line numbers.

Thanks for any help!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove multiple text from a single file

Dear all, I have a file which have let us say records from A-Z. Now I want to remove multiple letter from this file using single command.. let us say I want to remove A,F,K,Y,U,P,B,S,D. I can use grep -v command but for this case i need to rerun the file several time i wana avoid using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines and comments from text file

Hi, I am using BASH. How can I remove any lines in a text file that are either blank or begin with a # (ie. comments)? Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines in the file

Hi, How to remove duplicate lines in the file. a ------ b c 24 23 a ---- c b (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to generate multiple lines in a text file?

Hello, I want to create a file whose content is multiple lines of strings. The string has the following pattern: aaaa/bbbb/A-B.txt A is a variable ranges from A1 to A2 B is a variable ranges from B1 to B2 Any ideas? Thanks. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: vic005
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple lines in a text file

Hi All I have text file like this: a=21ej c=3tiu32 e=hydkehw f=hgdiuw g=jhdkj a=klkjhvl b=dlkjhyfd a=yo c=8732 Any way I can process data from first a to just before of second a, and then second a to just before of 3rd one. Just fetching records like that will help, I mean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandipjee
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep multiple lines from a text file using another text file?

I would like to use grep to select multiple lines from a text file using a single-column text file. Basically I want to only select lines from the first text file where the second column of the first text file matches the second text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple patterns and remove lines from a file?

Hi, I have a file content as below. Table : PAYR Displayed fields: 15 of 15 Fixed columns: 4 List width 0999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to remove lines from file that match text

I am trying to remove each line in which $2 is FP or RFP. I believe the below will remove one instance but not both. Thank you :). file 12 123 FP 11 10 RFP awk awk -F'\t' ' $2 != "FP"' file desired output 12 11 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newline character from column spread over multiple lines in a file

Hi, I came across one issue recently where output from one of the columns of the table from where i am creating input file has newline characters hence, record in the file is spread over multiple lines. Fields in the file are separated by pipe (|) delimiter. As header will never have newline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
4 Replies
wrjpgcom(1)							   User Commands						       wrjpgcom(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [-replace] [-comment text] [-cfile name] [filename] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG or JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG or JFIF file on the stan- dard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard does not actually define the intended function of COM blocks, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This enables you to add annotations, titles, index terms, and so on to your JPEG files, and later retrieve the COM blocks as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have many COM blocks in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text that you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks, but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -cfile name Read the text for a new COM block from the named file. -comment text Supply the text for a new COM block on the command line. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the JPEG file to which you want to add text comments. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
To add only one line of comment text, use the -comment option to provide the text on the command line. Specify the comment text within quotes, so that the text is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you specify neither the -comment nor the -cfile option, wrjpgcom reads the comment text from standard input. In such cases, you must supply an input image filename. You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB. Type an end-of-file indicator, usually Ctrl-D, to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom does not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore, you can use -replace -comment "" to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Adding a Short Comment to in.jpg to Produce out.jpg example% wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Example 2: Attaching a Long Comment Previously Stored in comment.txt example% wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or example% wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg In this example, 1000 is a number that is larger than the number of rows in the source file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWjpg | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) NOTES
This man page was originally written by the Independent JPEG Group. Updated by Breda McColgan, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2004 wrjpgcom(1)