Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Recovering corrupted LVM data: No readable superblocks Post 302902281 by Aia on Monday 19th of May 2014 10:34:36 PM
Old 05-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargason
Code:
$ sudo mke2fs -n /dev/sde2
mke2fs 1.42.7 (21-Jan-2013)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
43376640 inodes, 173505280 blocks
8675264 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=4294967296
5295 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8192 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
    32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208, 
    4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968, 

Quote:
$ sudo mke2fs -n /dev/sde2
That should have not given you any superblock output if it were the partition for the logical volume /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01

The output would had been more in the order of:
/dev/sde2 is apparently in use by the system, blah, blah
even if it is broken

Question? Are you sure that /dev/sde2 is the partition of the LVM?
Code:
dumpe2fs /dev/dm-1 | grep -i superblock
dumpe2fs /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 | grep -i superblock

Either of those two would output the proper superblocks if available, assuming for sure that /dev/dm-1 maps to the LVM.

What's the output of lsblk if available?

What's the output of pvdisplay?

Last edited by Aia; 05-19-2014 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: asking for pvdisplay

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Filesystems: Hiding and recovering data

Here is a very interesting article on not only hiding data on filesystems (the article deals mainly with the ext2 filesystem, which should also work with etx3), but also recovering, including from slack space on raw blocks, and even deleted data! ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recovering lost folders/files data

Hello, Is there a way to recover data from a SCO UNIXWARE 7.4 operating system without using a tape backup device? We believe there is some data in some directories that was there once; but not anymore, we don't have a backup on tape. So, is there any other solution to recover? Hope... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Corrupted journal in a Linux LVM How to recover

Not real Linux expert but here is the problem. Shutdown this machine and then it would not reboot. From everything I can tell it looks like the journal file in the logical volume is corrupted. I have tried everything I can think of to get the volume mounted. Anybody have any ideas on how... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
19 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flash drive recovering data.

I have a flash drive which contained very important docs. But somebidy accidently dleted those files. I want to recover these files anyhow. I have listened the Linux have best possible chances of recovering it. Can anybody tell me how to recover that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Configure LVM to gain access to the data on disks

Hello friends, We had to upgrade RHEL 4.x to 5.7 so we took complete backup. Since DIRECT UPGRADE not possible, we rebuilt 5.7 from scratch. We had lvm configuration on DATA disks in previous OS and now we need to configure such that we should be able to have same old LVM configuration (like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Recovering DATA from sparc classic

I have a Sun sparc classic that I am trying to recover data off. The main CPU part just clicks or beeps when powered up, but does not come on (nothing on screen, and LED in front not lighting up). There is also an external SCSI drive, and I have verified there is a drive inside the CPU. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackconsult
8 Replies
DUMPE2FS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       DUMPE2FS(8)

NAME
dumpe2fs - dump filesystem information SYNOPSIS
dumpe2fs [ -bfhixV ] [ -ob superblock ] [ -oB blocksize ] device DESCRIPTION
dumpe2fs prints the super block and blocks group information for the filesystem present on device. dumpe2fs is similar to Berkeley's dumpfs program for the BSD Fast File System. OPTIONS
-b print the blocks which are reserved as bad in the filesystem. -ob superblock use the block superblock when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corupted filesystem. -oB blocksize use blocks of blocksize bytes when examining the filesystem. This option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the remains of a very badly corupted filesystem. -f force dumpe2fs to display a filesystem even though it may have some filesystem feature flags which dumpe2fs may not understand (and which can cause some of dumpe2fs's display to be suspect). -h only display the superblock information and not any of the block group descriptor detail information. -i display the filesystem data from an image file created by e2image, using device as the pathname to the image file. -x print the detailed group information block numbers in hexadecimal format -V print the version number of dumpe2fs and exit. BUGS
You need to know the physical filesystem structure to understand the output. AUTHOR
dumpe2fs was written by Remy Card <Remy.Card@linux.org>. AVAILABILITY
dumpe2fs is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
e2fsck(8), mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.32 November 2002 DUMPE2FS(8)