Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl String Replacement Syntax Question . . . Post 302902100 by LinQ on Sunday 18th of May 2014 04:39:03 PM
Old 05-18-2014
@Aia: Thanks for stopping by.

However, the code didn't run out of the box.

Fixed:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# -w removed from shebag since it does the same that use warnings

use strict;
use warnings;
my $line;
my $file = 'test.txt';
open (my $content, "<", $file) or die("Could not open file. $!");

# read the content one line at a time
while ( $line = <$content> ) {
    $line =~ s/Mary/Joe/g;
    print "$line";
}

close $content;

While this ran, test.txt was unchanged; and the altered text was simply directed to the command line. Couldn't get any modification to work as planned...

So, after more digging around, I tried to rectify the problem thusly:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use diagnostics;
use strict;
use warnings;

our $content;

open ($content, "<", "test.txt");
$content =~ s/Mary/Joe/g;
open ($content, ">", "test.txt");

close $content;

This block runs without warnings or errors, but instead of the text ($content) being altered and returned to the original file (as the apparent logic/flow would indicate), all in "test.txt" is erased; and the script simply exits.

FWIW, the perldocs were rather confusing/obtuse on all of this...

???

Thanks again Smilie

---------- Post updated at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:05 PM ----------

Stop the presses!

Working with something over here. Seems I got confused over handles/content.

Back soon --

---------- Post updated at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:20 PM ----------

Back again.

This time, the code seems better in some regards, but the result is still the same: All content of test.txt is simply erased--
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use diagnostics;
use warnings;
use strict;

my $src = 'test.txt';
my $des = 'test.txt';
my $line;

# open source file for reading
open(SRC,'<',$src) or die $!;

# open destination file for writing
open(DES,'>',$des) or die $!;

while($line = <SRC>){
$line =~ s/Mary/Joe/g;
   print $line $des;    
}

# always close the filehandles
close(SRC);
close(DES);

Really confused now...

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Replacement with Perl

I want to replace a string within a file using perl. We have a line that gets commented out, and I want to replace that line now matter how it was commented out. for example, I'd want to replace ###ES=PR1A with ES=PR1A or ##LJW(9/16/26)ES=PR1A with ES=PR1A I tried: perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lindarella
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: simple question on string append

I want to append a decimal number to a string. But I want to restrict the number to only 2 decimal points for e.g: my $output = "\n The number is = "; my $number = 2.3333333; $output = $output . $number; But I want the $output as: "The number is = 2.33"; and not 2.3333333 (I do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

I have one string string1=user/password:IP_ADDR:Directory I need to replace string1 value like store into string2 string2=user password:IP_ADDR:Directory i.e replace "/" character by '<space>' character But i wouldn't use any file in the meantime. Please help me......................... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi All, I have below file which has data in below format. #$ | AB_100 | AB_300 ()| AB_4 @*(% | AB-789 i want o/p as below format. | AB_100 | AB_300 | AB_4 | AB-789 So here there is no standard format. How we can achieve the same in unix ? Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed string replacement question

Hey everybody. I've got a simple problem but am unsure how to resolve it. I am using a script to edit multiple files at once. Inside the script I am using an sed command to make the changes. My problem is that I can only get it to work for stings that contain a word or words. How can I modify it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iwatk003
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement.

Dear Friends, I want to replace following line with given line. It should grep/search following string in a file (input.txt) M/M SRNO: 000M/6200-0362498 COSMETIC PRO MALE FEMALE Once found it should replace it to following string. T_DLHNNO: 000M/6200-0362498 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

8. Programming

Perl syntax question

Hallo everybody, I have a following problem - I'm doing a map funciont to fill in a HTML table and I want to use some radiobutton groups. Unfortunatelly, they are grouped by names, so I have to add some "counter" that will divide one row from another, and I'm using CGI.pm for generating the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duskos
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi, I have a text file where all records come in one line (single line file), each record starts with 'BUCH' and ends with '@&' and if data is not there we get space instead. between '@&' and next record there might be some spaces, now I want to remove those spaces between '@&' and 'BUCH'. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maks475
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Perl Syntax Question.

Greetings! Here's what I believe is a "simple one" for the community tonight ;) What I'm trying to do is assign a "true/false" value to a variable depending upon whether a named process (some-process) exists; and then test for this value in the succeeding logic. I banged my head against the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
2 Replies
Test::Strict(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Strict(3pm)

NAME
Test::Strict - Check syntax, presence of use strict; and test coverage SYNOPSIS
"Test::Strict" lets you check the syntax, presence of "use strict;" and presence "use warnings;" in your perl code. It report its results in standard "Test::Simple" fashion: use Test::Strict tests => 3; syntax_ok( 'bin/myscript.pl' ); strict_ok( 'My::Module', "use strict; in My::Module" ); warnings_ok( 'lib/My/Module.pm' ); Module authors can include the following in a t/strict.t and have "Test::Strict" automatically find and check all perl files in a module distribution: use Test::Strict; all_perl_files_ok(); # Syntax ok and use strict; or use Test::Strict; all_perl_files_ok( @mydirs ); "Test::Strict" can also enforce a minimum test coverage the test suite should reach. Module authors can include the following in a t/cover.t and have "Test::Strict" automatically check the test coverage: use Test::Strict; all_cover_ok( 80 ); # at least 80% coverage or use Test::Strict; all_cover_ok( 80, 't/' ); DESCRIPTION
The most basic test one can write is "does it compile ?". This module tests if the code compiles and play nice with "Test::Simple" modules. Another good practice this module can test is to "use strict;" in all perl files. By setting a minimum test coverage through "all_cover_ok()", a code author can ensure his code is tested above a preset level of kwality throughout the development cycle. Along with Test::Pod, this module can provide the first tests to setup for a module author. This module should be able to run under the -T flag for perl >= 5.6. All paths are untainted with the following pattern: "qr|^([-+@w./:\]+)$|" controlled by $Test::Strict::UNTAINT_PATTERN. FUNCTIONS
syntax_ok( $file [, $text] ) Run a syntax check on $file by running "perl -c $file" with an external perl interpreter. The external perl interpreter path is stored in $Test::Strict::PERL which can be modified. You may prefer "use_ok()" from Test::More to syntax test a module. For a module, the path (lib/My/Module.pm) or the name (My::Module) can be both used. strict_ok( $file [, $text] ) Check if $file contains a "use strict;" statement. "use Moose" and "use Mouse" are also considered valid. This is a pretty naive test which may be fooled in some edge cases. For a module, the path (lib/My/Module.pm) or the name (My::Module) can be both used. warnings_ok( $file [, $text] ) Check if warnings have been turned on. If $file is a module, check if it contains a "use warnings;" or "use warnings::..." or "use Moose" or "use Mouse" statement. If the perl version is <= 5.6, this test is skipped ("use warnings" appeared in perl 5.6). If $file is a script, check if it starts with "#!...perl -w". If the -w is not found and perl is >= 5.6, check for a "use warnings;" or "use warnings::..." or "use Moose" or "use Mouse" statement. This is a pretty naive test which may be fooled in some edge cases. For a module, the path (lib/My/Module.pm) or the name (My::Module) can be both used. all_perl_files_ok( [ @directories ] ) Applies "strict_ok()" and "syntax_ok()" to all perl files found in @directories (and sub directories). If no <@directories> is given, the starting point is one level above the current running script, that should cover all the files of a typical CPAN distribution. A perl file is *.pl or *.pm or *.t or a file starting with "#!...perl" If the test plan is defined: use Test::Strict tests => 18; all_perl_files_ok(); the total number of files tested must be specified. You can control which tests are run on each perl site through: $Test::Strict::TEST_SYNTAX (default = 1) $Test::Strict::TEST_STRICT (default = 1) $Test::Strict::TEST_WARNINGS (default = 0) $Test::Strict::TEST_SKIP (default = []) "Trusted" files to skip all_cover_ok( [coverage_threshold [, @t_dirs]] ) This will run all the tests in @t_dirs (or current script's directory if @t_dirs is undef) under Devel::Cover and calculate the global test coverage of the code loaded by the tests. If the test coverage is greater or equal than "coverage_threshold", it is a pass, otherwise it's a fail. The default coverage threshold is 50 (meaning 50% of the code loaded has been covered by test). The threshold can be modified through $Test::Strict::COVERAGE_THRESHOLD. You may want to select which files are selected for code coverage through $Test::Strict::DEVEL_COVER_OPTIONS, see Devel::Cover for the list of available options. The default is '+ignore,"/Test/Strict"'. The path to "cover" utility can be modified through $Test::Strict::COVER. The 50% threshold is a completely arbitrary value, which should not be considered as a good enough coverage. The total coverage is the return value of "all_cover_ok()". CAVEATS
For "all_cover_ok()" to work properly, it is strongly advised to install the most recent version of Devel::Cover and use perl 5.8.1 or above. In the case of a "make test" scenario, "all_perl_files_ok()" re-run all the tests in a separate perl interpreter, this may lead to some side effects. SEE ALSO
Test::More, Test::Pod. Test::Distribution, <Test:NoWarnings> AUTHOR
Pierre Denis, "<pdenis@gmail.com>". COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005, 2010 Pierre Denis, All Rights Reserved. You may use, modify, and distribute this package under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-02-14 Test::Strict(3pm)