Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C program to read a binary file and search for a string? Post 302902052 by achenle on Saturday 17th of May 2014 08:58:07 PM
Old 05-17-2014
Better to use something like this:
Code:
head -c 32m | grep $STRING

That addresses the problem of strings searching the entirety of large files when only the first few MB are to be searched. (The example will search the first 32 MB.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace string in binary file

Dear all, How can replace special string with another string in binary file? Thanks&Best Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sg1207
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for string and return binary result?

Hi, I have a problem that I am sure someone will know the answer to. Currently I have a script which returns a binary output if it finds a certain search string (in this case relating to a DRBD cluster) as follows: searchstring="cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate" && echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: almightybunghol
3 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

C Program to search and read all named pipes in current directory

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program to search the current directory for all pipes. 1. It will print the pipe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natwickley
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl- read search and replace string from the file

Dear all, I have a number of files and each file has two sections separated by a blank line. At the top section, I have lines which describes the values of the alphabetical characters, # s #; 0.123 # p #; 12.3 # d #; -2.33 # f #; 5.68 <blank line> sssssss spfdffff sdfffffff Now I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasharma
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python Binary File Read and Parse

Hi to everyone :), i have a challenge right now in python that for now needs a bit of help in one part of the c0de. The task is create a new file with the name of the file defined by the ASCII content between the 3 byte and the 16 byte that is parsed from the binary file, the file is over 20 Mb i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd0spt
0 Replies

6. Solaris

A string in a binary file

hi experts, anyone knows how can i find a string in a multiple binary files in a multiple directories and display the file name containing the string? i mean i have lots of folders with binary files and i am looking for specific string within one of these files i would like to know the right... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search specific object in binary file?

I have a very important question: I have to find a table 'XXTO_AR_TABLE' in a folder present in server and in this folder these types files are present: .rdf, jar file, java class file etc. These are binary files. I want to get name of these files where my table named 'XXTO_AR_TABLE' is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikash163
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files incrementally and search for particular string.

Example I have following requirements where i need to search for particular string from the log files.Files will be archived with number attached end to it and creates a new log file. First Day i will ran at 8:00 AM Filename:a.log1 Wed Aug 24 04:46:34... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nareshnani211
1 Replies
perl(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   perl(1)

NAME
perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language DESCRIPTION
The perl software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for perl are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) perl(1)